- Pay Rate:
£36.20 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 10 months
- MORDEN, London,
Interim Transport Policy Planner – Engineering & Surveying
Reference no: Merton 5224116
Pay rate: £36.20 per hour PAYE
A Transport Policy Planner is required to develop the Council’s long term sustainable travel strategy/plan (walking, cycling and EV charging infrastructure). The primary role will be to develop and produce several strategy documents related to sustainable transport, including cycling, walking and electric vehicles.
Candidates will need a suitable level of knowledge and experience of transport planning focused on sustainable travel modes and specific knowledge of the latest technical guidance and experience of delivery of cycle and walking routes and EV charging infrastructure is essential. To also assist with other Transport planning matters.
- Develop, review and manage sustainable transport related policies and strategies.
- Lead on the development of sustainable transport policies for the Council, primarily the preparation, submission, review and delivery of transport planning policies and guidance, including the EV strategy, Walking and cycling strategies and other technical plans.
- Manage specific projects in particular relating to the Council’s sustainable transport policies, to provide expert advice and support with regard to departmental and corporate initiatives as appropriate including advice to Councillors, local residents, developers, community groups, businesses and other technical and non-technical audiences.
- Identify, co-ordinate and deliver the preparation of robust and effective research and monitor information to support production and delivery of the transport planning policies.
- Develop effective working relationships at an appropriate level with key agencies and organisations, such as government departments, the Greater London Authority, strategic healthcare providers, housing providers, the Environment Agency, infrastructure providers and others. This includes undertaking negotiations to raise the profile of the Council’s transport policy and development matters, representing the Council at external meetings and leading on input to external strategies.
- Identify potential external funding sources and develop effective bids to secure them, ensuring that the Council’s ability to generate external funding for projects is maximised. To develop bids for capital and revenue resources as appropriate and provide support for project management, budget management and financial forecasts.
- Promote the projects and activities of the team to the wider council, its partners and external organisations including the development industry, other public bodies, business organisations and community associations to raise the teams’ profile and attract new business.
- Undertake site visits borough-wide in all seasons to undertake the necessary assessments when developing strategies and proposals.
- Conduct effective consultation processes which will include representing the Council at public and committee meetings requiring occasional attendance at evening meetings.
- May be required to work on other areas of transport planning and policy and on the delivery of sustainable transport projects.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Relevant degree or qualification in transport planning.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Knowledge and understanding of legislations and techniques relevant to transport planning and associated topics.
- Specific knowledge of the latest technical guidance and experience of delivery of cycle and walking routes and EV charging infrastructure is essential.
- Knowledge and experience of transport planning focused on sustainable travel modes.
- Experience in developing and delivering transport policies and projects.
- Experience of assessing the transport implications of planning applications and other major projects/initiatives.
- Previous experience of working in local government beneficial and preferable.
- Ability to conduct an open and communicative approach including good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, programme, monitor and deliver projects and programmes of work in accordance with required timescales.
- Good analytical skills including the ability to collect, present and interpret information.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work effectively as an individual and within a team.
- An understanding of resource management, including effective budget management.
- An understanding of the different roles and needs of Councillors, clients, consultants, contractors and the public in relation to the team’s work.
- A willingness to work outside normal office hours if required.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Transport Policy Planner – Engineering & Surveying
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.