- Pay Rate: £12.60 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Norwich, NR1 2DH
A Senior Finance Assistant is required to assist in the process of providing a budgeting and financial management service. The Senior Finance Assistant role has specific areas of responsibility within the service and works very closely with individual Responsible Budget Officers as a technical advisor. The post holder will close specified client’s accounts, completing appropriate adjustments and allocations. They will complete required returns, statistics and claims relating to the capital and revenue out turn. The role requires a strong knowledge of accountancy and a good understanding of the service department.
At peak times there may be a requirement to work at the weekend.
- Provide support in controlling and co-ordinating the development, preparation and monitoring of client’s budgets, advise in producing specified client’s capital and revenue budgets, input budget information and complete related reports, statistics and returns as necessary to give options and advice on available funds
- Contribute to the monthly monitoring process and the production of the statutory accounts
- Meet with RBOs regarding the monitoring process to ensure the accurate forecasting and capturing of all relevant issues and to investigate and resolve variances raised by RBO’s on financial data
- Provide timely financial information for ad-hoc requests and project work
- Provide training and financial advice on a day-to-day basis as required by the service department through considering new legislation, Council reports and accounting practices and report their implications to the client so that processes can be improved in the future
- Assist in cash management through recharges of actual expenditure and where necessary processing of loan transactions for authorisation by a senior officer
- Co-ordinate the production of returns to Government and other bodies, to ensure requirements are met for providing accurate information
- Work with external Partner organisations.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Your address (including post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation
- Qualifications: Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Certificate Level/or similar qualification
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Good numeracy skills, and the ability to analyse complex financial information
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), with ability to obtain, relay and clarify information
- Ability to manage own time
- Ability to work in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly
- Practical knowledge of computerised financial systems
- Knowledge and experience of budget preparation and monitoring
- Experience giving equivalent skills and knowledge of accountancy, minimum 2 years in a relevant field
- Experience of working with other departments at all levels
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
- Knowledge of local authority finance
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via email@example.com but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Senior Finance Assistant – Resources (IMMEDIATE START)
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.