- Pay Rate:
Up to £11.73 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
31.50 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 12 months
Temporary SEN Teaching Assistant – Education
Reference no: Oxfordshire 5211373
Enhanced DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The purpose of the role is to improve outcomes for children and young people with Special Education Needs (pupils with physical disabilities; language and communication difficulties and those on the autistic spectrum) who attend a SENSS resource base attached to a mainstream school.
Supporting student access to the learning environment and fostering independence with the aim of enabling access to the curriculum and facilitating full inclusion into school life.
- Supporting students either 1:1 or in a small group to develop a skill, attitude or behaviour.
- Provision of individual specialist support and advice to students attending lessons within the host mainstream school. This will require the post holder to plan their support in conjunction with a Resource Base Teacher or Resource Base Coordinator and ensure that each student is supported appropriately to access the teaching and learning effectively within this setting.
- Supporting the appropriate use and maintenance of any equipment used by the student under the guidance of the Resource Base Teacher or Resource Base Coordinator.
- Representing the specialist teacher in the mainstream classroom and if required, taking responsibility for certain decisions while acting in this capacity.
- The negotiation of strategies for supporting pupils with individual class teachers, should behaviour or learning management issues arise in a lesson. Assistance and support should be provided to all staff within the classroom where required.
- Supervision of children during break-time and lunch-time periods, subject to agreement/ negotiation.
- Supervision and assistance in relation to agreed care programmes including intimate care need.
- Support to students to complete specified pupil programmes specially devised by therapists. The TA is expected to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, sharing skills, knowledge and observations to support the physical curriculum as an integral part of the learning curriculum. This will involve working either in a small group or with individual pupils, carrying-out programmes designed by professional staff concerning physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech, language and communication programmes and swimming activities. Training and guidance will be given on an individual basis.
- Representing the specialist teacher while off the school premises e.g. educational visits.
- Recognition that whilst on the host school site and/or supporting students in class, the TA is responsible to the Resource Base Coordinator, Resource Base Teacher, Head Teacher [host school] and SENSS managers.
- Administer medication if required following correct procedures as advised by the Resource Base Coordinator (full training will be given).
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Maths & English GCSE (A*-C Grades) or equivalent.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Good spoken and written English language skills.
- Relevant and recent experience of working with children and young people with special educational needs in an educational context to facilitate learning and encourage independence.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently, prioritising a range of tasks appropriately and organising time efficiently without immediate supervision.
- The ability to communicate sensitively and appropriately with colleagues at different levels, and with children and their parents.
- A commitment to learning and on-going training and openness to change and the development of new ways of working.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary SEN Teaching Assistant – Education
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.