- Pay Rate:
Up to £17.05 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
Full Job Title: Temporary Projects Engineer – Street Scene
Reference no: E Devon 5208153
Some home working, office based & site visits as and when required. Ideally the candidate will be local to this role in East Devon (Exmouth, Sidmouth & Seaton).
To assist developing, maintaining and replacing the Council's public infrastructure throughout the District though inspection regimes and design / procurement / overseeing of works.
Reducing the risks to people and the developed and natural environment from flooding and coastal erosion by using a coordinated, reasonable and sustainable risk management approach.
Core accountabilities include:
- The design, planning & procurement of works, and the preparation of contracts, terms and conditions for the key Council Services and assets relating to the inspection, repair, maintenance and improvement of its public infrastructure including the following:
- Flood Alleviation, Land Drainage and Watercourses
- Coastal Protection, Cliffs and Beaches
- Roads, Bridges and Footpaths
- Public Open Space, Parks, Gardens, Sports Facilities and Play Areas
- Car Parks
- Sewers and Sewage Treatment
- Procure, supervise and direct the work of contractors, including ensuring that they comply with the terms, conditions, specification, drawings and site works relating to the contracts awarded to them.
- Supervise and direct the work of staff engaged on the investigation, design and contract administration of engineering projects and a range of other engineering/environmental tasks.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience:
- Excellent general level of education to degree level in an engineering discipline (or equivalent qualification / experience)
- Project management training such as PRINCE 2 - desirable
- Knowledge of designing a variety of civil engineering projects
- Design, planning & procurement of works and the preparation of contracts
- The application of CDM regulations
- Undertaking non-technical reports suitable for a wider audience / public
- Skills & Abilities:
- Managing the collection, interpretation and reporting of written, statistical and financial data using appropriate computer packages
- Able to manage a diverse workload and deliver objectives within agreed timescales
- Ability to explain engineering drawings, instructions, specifications and other requirements to contractors and others clearly and concisely
- Ability to use CAD to produce engineering drawings
- Ability to engage constructively with community groups in the delivery of engineering projects
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- *** Other Work-Related Requirements: Candidates will need to have a full UK driving licence and will be able to claim for business mileage.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Projects Engineer – Street Scene
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.