- Pay Rate:
£14.86 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 17:00
This opening assignment is for 5 months
Design engineer required to carry out design of heating and ventilation systems for schools, Leisure centres, etc.
A busy Property Services team seeking mechanical design engineer to work on maintenance, refurb & new build commercial buildings. A thorough knowledge of gas, heating, ventilation, energy conservation & renewable energy would be desirable.
Provide mechanical building services technical support to Building Consultancy colleagues, building managers and budget holders.
- Provide reliable, accurate and professional advice and support to colleagues.
- Take projects from inception to completion.
- Manage statutory testing contracts, provide clear status reports for managers and update and interrogate the RAMIS database.
Detailed Task Profile:
Primary role is to provide mechanical building services related advice, design, project management and support to building managers and budget holders. Whilst external assistance, from specialist contractors or designers, may at times be required these will normally be scoped, managed and delivered via the post holder.
- Advice and support – provide reliable, accurate and professional advice to colleagues via phone calls, emails, reports and meetings.
- Project delivery - take and develop a brief, establish and agree delivery programmes, manage the input of other staff where required, develop outline designs and produce budget costings, produce detailed designs using specialist software including Heavacomp, produce drawings and specifications, ensure method statements are produced where necessary and Authority Health and Safety procedures are following including those related to asbestos, produce tender documentation, manage the procurement process and administer contracts, snag completed work, direct and witness commissioning, chair and minute contract meetings, consult and communicate with the client and other stake holders and agree contract final accounts. Where part of a wider design team produce mechanical designs as part of a multi-disciplinary project.
- Statutory Testing - manage the statutory testing contracts, manage the retender process when required, monitor testing, produce clear status reports for managers. Interrogate and update the RAMIS database, manage remedial works arising from statutory testing and monitor the quality of works.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- HNC or equivalent in mechanical engineering or building services engineering
- HND or degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering or building services engineering - desirable
- Extensive experience covering all types of mechanical building services
- Good working knowledge of:
- Mechanical services in local authority buildings
- Energy efficiency and energy saving measures
- Building services elements of current building regulations
- Legionella risk reduction measures
- Building services elements of BREEAM
- Risks associated with Asbestos
- BMS systems
- Proficient in the use of AutoCad
- Proficient in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and Hevacomp
- Able to communicate professionally
- Self motivation
- Able to effectively manage time
- Effective decision making
- Ability to write professional reports
- Able to effectively chair project meetings
- Personable, helpful and cooperative when dealing with others
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Up to date knowledge of latest technical developments
- Working knowledge of CCBC asbestos management procedures
- Working knowledge of CCBC procurement standing orders
- Working knowledge of the RAMIS database
- Proficient in the use of Revitt design software
- Proficient on the use of MS Project
- Specialist knowledge of energy saving and energy management technology
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Mechanical Engineer - Property Services
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.