- Pay Rate:
£14.26 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months.
Temporary Market Officer - Regeneration & Growth
Reference no: Stoke on Trent 5208760
The postholder will manage and encourage vibrancy at any assigned market(s) that maximises the operating surplus, market occupancy and footfall by the delivery of cost-effective public market operations and associated services in a commercially focused manner. They may be assigned personal responsibility for one or more markets, and to provide temporary cover at other markets as needs dictate.
- Work with traders and recognised trader groups to ensure that the market offers a safe, attractive and vibrant shopping experience that encourages maximum footfall and spend.
- Methodically plan promotions, publicity, events, activity and marketing of the markets, facilities and available pitches, working with managers of other markets, businesses and the council in concert to derive the best exposure of the offer.
- Keep market inspection and trader records, incident records, and investigations, to enforce licence regulations and byelaws in accordance with the prevailing enforcement protocol.
- Be responsible for collection of market tolls and to manage the operating finances of the market ensuring that all monies are correctly accounted for and that expenditure is robustly managed.
- Keep reportable records of significant decisions made and incidents to support full collection of tolls, response to complaints and enforcement records in compliance in the required format and quality standard.
- Ensure that the fabric of the market, the state of decoration; the services and the facilities within it are all maintained to a satisfactory standard, including supervising contractors when on site.
- Develop business cases for investment, sales and marketing to ensure the immediate and longer-term prosperity of the assigned markets.
- Produce performance reports as required.
- Assist the Markets Team Leader if required in the preparation of budgets relative to market activities.
- Process applications from new licensees, or existing licensees, to transfer businesses, vary licence terms and tolls, alter or improve stalls.
- Act as the responsible person for the site, including the security of premises and ensure that all statutory requirements with regard to health safety and welfare in all aspects of the post are met.
- Operate street trading and outdoor markets as directed, including the monitoring of compliance to licence terms and operating enforcement action against unauthorised traders and collection of charges. Acting as a witness in court as and when required and to be conversant with outdoor market and street trading rules in the city.
- Monitor and control car boot sales and market related funfairs/juvenile rides and to ensure that rules and regulations relating thereto are complied with.
- Direct the work of the Market Cleaners and contractors as appropriate
- Handling trader and customer complaints and mediate where necessary to establish a suitable outcome. Handling hostile situations where you are faced with abusive or aggressive behaviour.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- Good knowledge of the retail industry and how it relates to public markets in the City of Stoke-on-Trent.
- Knowledge of profit and loss accounting.
- Operational knowledge of markets laws, byelaws, license conditions
- Operational knowledge of retail laws and safety related landlord duties
- Experience in effective dealing with people from a wide range of different backgrounds both as individuals and in groups.
- Previous experience in working in a commercially operated service industry.
- Experience of achieving lawful compliance and maintaining and improving standards
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills with the ability to handle and resolve conflict through mediation and reconciliation.
- Ability to deliver and maximise profit.
- Ability to engage people in a friendly, positive and inclusive manner.
- Excellent communicator: good listening skills and the ability to respond appropriately.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Resilient and able to take criticism and respond to it positively.
- Motivate others to develop their skills and understanding: a good mentor.
- Ability to develop innovative and effective marketing approaches.
- Strong record keeping skills to support audit and decision making
- Friendly, caring, approachable, empathetic and engaging with a sense of humour.
- Highly professional with integrity and quickly establishing credibility.
- People focussed and caring, but firm and fair and focussed on both immediate results and longer-term objectives.
- Responsive and flexible approach to challenges.
- Commitment to own personal development and that of others.
- Reliable, dependable, trustworthy and honest.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Market Officer -Regeneration & Growth
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.