- Pay Rate:
£9.90 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Temporary Maritime Assistant - Ports and Harbours
Reference no: Cornwall 5207915
The role of the Maritime Assistant is to undertake, either individually, or as part of a team, general maritime duties relating to the Section. This will be within any of the Ports and Harbours of Truro, Penryn, Penzance, St Ives, Newquay, Bude, Portscatho, Portreath and the Prince of Wales Pier but may also involve other ports, harbours and other maritime assets within Cornwall if required to do so.
Some of the work will involve tidal working i.e. operation of wet dock gates (Penzance only), mooring and unmooring of commercial vessels (including laid up shipping), laying and recovering moorings.
- Assist with all aspects of harbour conservancy including buoy laying and mooring maintenance, harbour patrols afloat, wreck removal and clearance and byelaw enforcement.
- Act as a coxswain or crew member on any of the Council’s craft together with undertaking the maintenance of the vessel and its equipment.
- Undertake mooring work on commercial vessels, primarily at Truro and Penzance. This will involve line handling and mooring, unmooring and shifting vessels.
- Operate the wet dock gates at Penzance and this may be on a shift basis over a certain period of the year, i.e. seasonally, monthly etc.
- Assist the Senior Maritime Assistant (Moorings) in all aspects of the management of leisure moorings including allocations, siting, mooring maintenance and checking of positions.
- Undertake any work as required in all aspects of maintenance including workshop practices.
- Assist with maintenance of all Maritime assets including re-pointing quay walls, road lining and general property maintenance.
- Role will also be responsible for health and safety issues, including public rescue equipment, around the harbour ensuring that a pro-active inspection and reporting regime is maintained.
- Assist in any emergency i.e. fire on vessels, salvage, search and rescue etc. and to undertake any clean-up operation following a pollution incident.
- Collect income from harbour users and maintain satisfactory records.
- Enforce harbour byelaws and other harbour conservancy issues (Notices to Mariners, Aids to Navigation, etc.).
- Ensure the overall tidiness and cleanliness of the harbour and assets within it.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Demonstrates some prior knowledge and understanding of the maritime industry.
- Ability to handle small craft including a workboat and various patrol craft.
- The post holder should have previous experience in undertaking maintenance tasks.
- Displays empathy and patience when dealing with customers and deals appropriately with challenging behaviours including demonstrating good interpersonal and social skills in order to deal with the many and varied customers and stakeholders
- Ability to work on your own initiative whilst representing the broader interests of the Maritime.
- ICT Skills: Basic IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Maritime Assistant - Ports and Harbours
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.