- Pay Rate:
£18.54 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- Catford, London,
Temporary Housing Procurement Officer - Refugee Programme
Reference no: Lewisham 0006 129D / 1
Enhanced DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The purpose of the role is to be responsible for negotiating and procurement of good quality accommodation of suitable type, size and location across the private sector both Temporary and Private Rented Sector Accommodation, including Private Sector Leasing (PSL); Private Managed Accommodation (PMA); Lewisham Letting Scheme (LLS); Nightly Paid (NP) for homeless households and prevention on behalf of Housing Needs and other Council departments to meet individual and business targets, raising early alerts on any procurement risks.
- Actively market the various private sector accommodation procurement initiatives to landlords, letting agents, managed accommodation providers, portfolio landlords and developers using all available tools and methods of communication to meet individual, team and service procurement targets.
- Organise and/or participate in key stakeholder meetings, like Lewisham Landlords Day, landlord exhibitions, property auctions and other fora.
- Develop and maintain a healthy pipeline of good quality temporary and private rented sector accommodation of suitable type, size and location for Lewisham Council’s various client groups from HOC and Social Services to meet individual procurement and the wider service targets, at all times demonstrating value for money.
- Inspect all accommodation as necessary or as instructed by the service manager in order to ensure accommodation is fully compliant with the Council’s minimum standards and meets health and safety requirements including energy efficiency standards.
- Act as the main point of contact for all landlords and accommodation supplier enquiries relating to all private sector accommodation initiatives and be responsible for managing all complaints or queries.
- Provide private landlords with expert advice and guidance on all aspects of letting (including housing benefit and how to successfully establish, manage and terminate tenancies) in order to encourage good practice, increase the supply of private rented accommodation and reduce the risks involved in letting, in line with Council policy.
- Work with landlords, agents and other accommodation suppliers to promote best practice in provision of accommodation.
- Establish, develop and maintain close working relationships with private landlords, letting and managing agents & other accommodation suppliers in order to encourage them to provide good quality, affordable accommodation that meets the needs and aspirations of our customers.
- Actively negotiate with landlords, letting and managing agents & other accommodation providers to procure good quality accommodation at competitive rates.
- Maintain written and electronic (spreadsheet and database) information on private rented properties, all landlords, general contacts and any other relevant information associated with the procurement process keeping this information up to date at all times, and providing detailed reports as requested.
- Maintain detailed records to ensure that up-to-date data and statistics are maintained in accordance with agreed reporting arrangements and that Management has the information it needs in order to monitor performance, forecast future needs for the service and improve services.
- Ensure that all payments, including deposits and cash incentives are properly recorded, monitored and, where appropriate, recovered from the landlord, accommodation supplier or tenant in accordance with the contractual agreements and the Council’s financial regulations.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A good standard of education, including excellent levels of numeracy and literacy.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of working locally and of local agencies and key landlords.
- Experience of providing an excellent level of customer care and customer service in a comparable customer service environment.
- Experience of working effectively with private sector landlords and/or within a homelessness context.
- Experience of successfully developing initiatives and schemes to provide housing opportunities for people in housing need.
- Experience of Contract management in terms of performance and KPIs
- Experience of managing own caseload.
- Experience of achieving performance targets and meeting departmental objectives.
- Excellent current knowledge of private rented sector housing market and contracts, particularly the issues affecting private rented sector customers and landlords.
- Knowledge of how to deliver a first class customers focused service.
- A good knowledge and understanding of the government’s welfare reform and its implications on the private rented sector.
- Knowledge of the main principles of running a successful commercial operation.
- Knowledge of private sector housing law, health and safety rating system and other health and safety regulations (gas , electrics and energy efficiency) and legislation relating to the letting of private sector tenancies.
- Knowledge of the services provided by the Council for households who are in housing need.
- General knowledge of good property standards and common building problems.
- An awareness of the financial implications of decisions and an understanding of the importance of prioritising value for money.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent negotiating, influencing and liaison skills to successfully promote the Council to private sector landlords and agents and market housing options to customers, staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective partnerships with a wide range of people and organisations.
- Competitive, being performance driven and able to meet targets.
- Ability to identify business risks at an early stage within the procurement process, alerting appropriate managers and developing possible solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative with own cases.
- Ability to promote and develop effective joint working practices across services.
- Ability to work with private sector partners and respond to the needs of that market as well as understanding how that fits with the requirement to meet housing need.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Housing Procurement Officer - Refugee Programme
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.