- Pay Rate:
£17.76 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
Full Job Title: Temporary Housing Options Officer – Housing Support
Reference no: C Bedfordshire RQ647928
Deliver effective advisory & assistance service as part of a comprehensive approach to Housing Options that meets statutory requirements.
Negotiate with landlords and other agencies or relevant parties (e.g. family and friends) to ensure that accommodation does not cease to be available to an applicant whenever possible.
Mediate to resolve potentially homeless cases, irrespective of tenure (excluding fear of violence).
Manage a caseload, and make decisions in regards to homelessness which include judgements related to duties owed by the local authority and determining the best course of action in emergency situations, which impact upon the health and safety of people in the community.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Minimum of 2 years' recent housing support experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation
- Providing housing advice and assessment within an advice service setting
- Achieving performance targets – Individual and Team
- Team work and dealing with the Public and commitment to working within a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Report writing, maintaining records and producing statistics
- Managing a personal caseload.
- Working in a housing environment - preferred.
- Knowledge of the Housing Act 1996, Part VII as amended and of local authorities duties to homeless households.
- Knowledge of homeless prevention and housing options schemes.
- Knowledge of private sector housing legislation and best practice on tenancy matters, the issues affecting private sector residents and the policy framework within which the private sector operates.
- Good working knowledge of immigration and related social welfare legislation and benefit regulations.
- Knowledge of housing and other welfare benefit regulations.
- Good understanding of problems faced by people in housing need.
- Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to interview the public in a housing or related field in a sensitive way.
- Ability to complete enquiries to determine whether a duty is owed under Part VII Housing Act 1996.
- Ability to negotiate with householders
- Ability to provide high quality services within a pressurised and high profile environment.
- Ability to work flexibly and as part of a team.
- Ability to understand and assimilate complex information and to apply it effectively to individual circumstances.
- Ability to prevent homelessness and to promote a housing options, homeless prevention and self help approach to customers and colleagues.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of people, both written and verbally, including customers who may have special needs and/or be distressed or aggressive, whilst remaining professional and non- judgemental.
- Maintain detailed case records, recognise service priorities, meet performance targets and deadlines.
- Demonstrate commitment to respond effectively to emergencies to achieve positive solutions.
- ICT Skills: IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- *** Other Work-Related Requirements: Able to participate in offering an enhanced 'out of hours' service provision, on a rota-basis, estimated to be once every 4-6 weeks.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Housing Options Officer – Housing Support
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.