- Pay Rate:
£18.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 9-10 months
Temporary Housing Allocations & Accommodation Assistant
Job Ref: RQ596696
Enhanced DBS required for this role
The post holder will be responsible for daily temporary accommodation placements and promote effective move-on to other permanent housing, including intermediate and social housing
- To contribute to investigating and assessing all applicants under the Housing Act 1985 and Housing Act 1996 (Part VI) to assess whether housing is required.
- To support the prioritising of housing applicants in the appropriate category and banding in line with the Council’s allocation policy and other guidelines. To assist in writing and serving decision letters on all applications.
- To contribute to the maintenance of the choice based letting system which enables applicants to bid for properties, including the advertising and marketing of available properties.
- To support appropriate nominations and allocations to all permanent accommodation that the Council owns or has nomination rights to. To do so within agreed timescales to minimise voids / re-let periods.
- To be responsible for the daily booking of clients into B&B and temporary accommodation. Support the placing of households into emergency accommodation, where required, including households for social care services. To support reception and late duty rotas (outside office hours) if required to ensure that all customers approved for emergency accommodation are placed on the day.
- To make contact with households in temporary accommodation where needed to provide them with advice and guidance on the full range of housing options available to them and manage their expectations, taking into account their needs and aspirations, their priority on the Housing Register, where this applies, and ability to sustain other options, including intermediate housing options and private rented accommodation.
- To support the development and implementation of temporary accommodation tenancy checks, investigate cases where there is concern that temporary accommodation has been abandoned, sub-let or misused and where appropriate, assist in taking action to discharge the Council’s homelessness duty.
- To work with members of the Team to monitor bidding activity across households in temporary accommodation and offer support to those households who require assistance, in order to help them make informed choices about their future housing.
- To support the making of referrals to relevant services or departments, including the Council’s medical officer, social care services and housing options services and contribute to investigate high need or exceptional cases.
- To encourage and help homeless households in temporary accommodation to comply with their licence or tenancy conditions. Where there is a serious breach of duty (including harassment, anti-social behaviour and hate crime) and/or the Council has discharged its homelessness duty, ensure the accommodation is withdrawn and recovered as efficiently and quickly as possible, where appropriate to do so
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Hold an appropriate qualification in a relevant field: NVQ, Diploma, relevant degree or relevant experience
- Experience of working in a front facing team interviewing and assessing clients with a need for assistance
- Experience of case work and the application of case work management systems
- Skills to record effectively and keep case records and contacts up to date and relevant
- Ability to have or acquire an excellent working knowledge of all elements of housing needs: housing advice, temporary accommodation, property allocation and choice based lettings
- The ability to handle conflict, or potential conflict situations with clients who may be distressed, dissatisfied or potentially aggressive/ violent, and to do so within the Councils policy/procedure on carrying out such interviews
- Ability to handle and respond to customer complaints clearly and comprehensively in keeping with the council’s service standards
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Housing Allocations & Accommodation Assistant
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.