- Pay Rate:
£ 14.47 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months.
Temporary HGV Workshop Technician- Fleet Transport
Reference no: Northumberland 1004439413470082
A full driving licence for all Vehicle Categories required
The post-holder will support the Joint Commissioning Agenda and will be responsible for managing a range of Projects from planning stage, through to implementation. This will include the maintenance of all appropriate project deliverables and responsibilities, including project scheduling, status reporting, risk management and change management processes, including appropriate communication and engagement with all stakeholders.
- Prepare all vehicles to M.O.T. (Ministry of Transport) and LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) Testing Station standards.
- Undertake MOTs on class iv, v and vii vehicles as well as Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Cars.
- Diagnose faults by road testing vehicles, visual inspection, by use of computerised diagnostic software and any other method agreed by industrial standards.
- Accurately identify & order parts, components and systems from manuals, diagrams, computerised documents and direct from vehicle/plant.
- Service and repair the full range of vehicles and plant within the County Council’s fleet
- Provide excellent customer interface by adopting quality “first time” repairs in a timely manner.
- Ensure that machinery, equipment and tools that are used are operated in accordance with manufacturers guidelines and any faults are reported.
- Diagnose and repair of complex electrical systems and circuits, hydraulic & pneumatic systems from various manufacturer
- Calibrate specialist equipment to conform to manufacturers’ specifications.
- Complete job cards, inspection sheets and all associated documentation via handheld PDA or Desktop PC’s to allow the effective management of the fleet database.
- Hold the responsibility MOT station vehicle testing operated by Northumberland County Council as AE (Authorised Examiner) und er DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) appointment as a NT (Nominated Tester) and hold relevant qualifications as required.
- Carry out all duties and training in association with Nominated Tester as deemed by DVSA.
- Make efficient use of parts, completing documentation as required to ensure compliance of Quality Assurance and with Best Value requirements.
- Participate in service requests and work outside normal hours and standby requirements on a voluntary basis.
- Comply with Operator Licence legislation (where applicable) & complete required documentation.
- Undertake alterations / modifications to vehicles including welding and fabrication work.
- Attend breakdowns and complete on site dynamic risk assessments.
- Carry out LOLER examinations & complete relevant documentation.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent in subjects relevant to Vehicle and Plant Maintenance
- Understands complex mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Completed Full Vehicle Apprenticeship.
- Understanding of DVSA standards and maintenance requirements with respect to operator licensing.
- Undertaken theoretical and practical training relating to vehicle maintenance, safety, fault finding etc.
- A full driving licence for all Vehicle Categories: B, B+E, C1,C1+E, D1, D1+E,f,k,l,n,p
- Experience in operating all vehicle mounted auxiliary equipment i.e. cranes, bin lifts, tail lifts
- Broad experience in the maintenance of a range of fleet vehicles and plant, and in time and with training to cover the full range of vehicles within the County Council’s fleet.
- Experience in use of both a desktop PC and PDA to enter information into Fleet Database Systems for recording labour, parts issues and stock.
- Experience in the use of computer based diagnostic systems.
- A proven record of continuous development of personal skills to keep abreast of vehicle technology.
- Experienced and trained in the use oxygen and acetylene burning and welding, as well as various welding and fabrication techniques.
- Experienced in the operation of vehicle mounted equipment i.e.: cranes, tail lifts etc.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work outdoors with exposure to inclement weather –
- Decisive, reliable and responsive
- Ability to undertake dynamic risk assessments.
- Ability to apply a methodical approach to fault diagnostics
- Willingness to work with potentially infectious materials within a confined space –
- Exposure to unpleasant smells - The risk of burns, abrasions and cuts - Working with some hazardous materials e.g. bitumen, pressurised liquids and refuse waste –
- Works effectively with the minimum of supervision and under pressure.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of clients, staff, suppliers and Test Centre staff.
- Ability to interpret users verbal reports into mechanical solutions.
- Ability to analyse mechanical symptoms and diagnostic data to solve maintenance problems.
- Ability to work at height on LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) and Plant
- Ability to carry out manual handling and heavy physical activity on a daily basis.
- Willing to travel to undertake urgent repairs and drive various LGV and other vehicles as required.
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours during busy periods.
- Ability to work outdoors throughout the year undertaking site repairs or where there is limited depot space.
- Adaptable to changing workloads
- Flexible approach to work
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence for all vehicle categories
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary HGV Workshop Technician- Fleet Transport
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.