- Pay Rate:
£10.60 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
Temporary Grounds Maintenance Operative
Reference no: Adur 5207769
The purpose of the role is to carry out Grounds Maintenance and horticultural works as part of a mobile team on a variety of sites across the District & Borough ensuring that quality and standards are met.
- Carry out general Grounds Maintenance tasks in Parks, Open Spaces, Allotments and Cemeteries as instructed.
- Carry out horticultural maintenance works to flower beds, shrub beds and hedges as instructed.
- Carry out grounds maintenance works to sports pitches as instructed.
- Carry out grounds maintenance works to bowling greens, cricket squares, putting greens and croquet lawns as instructed.
- Operate mowing and other equipment associated with Grounds Maintenance (including hired plant) in a manner which ensures the safety of the operator, other colleagues working close by, parks users (particularly children and older people) and animals. Observe all relevant risk assessments associated with the job and be vigilant at all times. Inform Supervisor of any problems as soon as they become apparent.
- Carry out all daily and periodic machine checks as may be required and record accordingly.
- Wear, regularly inspect and maintain all personal protective equipment issued by the Council to ensure that it is always fit for purpose.
- Operate all road going vehicles in a manner which ensures the safety of the operator, other colleagues and members of the public, by observing all relevant risk assessments and being vigilant at all times.
- Clean equipment after each usage. Keep the cabins of all road vehicles clean and tidy and wash the outside of all road vehicles every two weeks or more often when instructed to do so.
- Observe manufacturer’s instructions, risk and COSHH assessments and exclusion information including signage when using chemicals. Complete relevant usage sheets after such materials are used.
- Report incidences of building defects, safety hazards, site security risks, antisocial behaviour, criminal activity byelaw infringement, illegal camping, traveller activities and anything else which might affect site user enjoyment of a site or the Council’s reputation or financial position to your supervisor or manager.
- Ensure that any site being worked upon is secure during works and also when the site is vacated. This is particularly important in regard to height and low level barriers and other types of traveller deterrent.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English grade C or above (or equivalent qualification).
- Full current driving licence with B entitlement.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of operating in a ground’s maintenance environment.
- Working knowledge of health and safety at work.
- Operation and maintenance of grounds maintenance machinery including ride on mowers.
- Competence and a good working knowledge of all aspects of health and safety at work including knowledge of relevant legislation eg. COSHH, H&SWA, Risk Assessments
- Demonstrable experience and competence in carrying out health & safety inspections of grounds maintenance machinery and equipment.
- Must be competent in the use of Smartphone and email systems.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Driving licence required for this role.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Grounds Maintenance Operative
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.