- Pay Rate:
£13.30 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, 07:30-16:00
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- Tower Hamlets, London,
Temporary Gardener (Manual Labour) – Neighbourhood Services / Horticultural
Job Ref: Tower Hamlets RQ602979
Basic DBS required for this role
To carry out gardening and horticultural maintenance to horticultural features, grass areas and natural features, under the direction of a Lead Gardener to give a high quality service that delivers cleaner, safer and well maintained estates and excellent customer service.
- Assist with the maintenance of ornamental areas and features to include; shrubs & shrub beds, roses & rose beds, hedges and natural features; (Bulb Plantings, Wildflower meadows and areas of biodiversity).
- Assist with maintenance of grass areas to include mowing, edging, and renovation tasks.
- As directed undertake the control of unwanted herbage in horticultural features and hard landscape areas.
- Assist with minor landscape works and horticultural development as directed.
- Ensure all equipment and machinery in your charge are secured during working hours.
- When required to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and be responsible for the care and cleaning of allocated vehicles and carry out routine non mechanical maintenance (e.g. check tyre pressure, oil and water) and ensuring that all equipment and materials are safely stored.
- Ensure that a high standard of customer care is offered to all sections of the community.
- Remove litter and rubbish trapped in shrubs and hedges following the trimming of these.
- To be trained and be able to apply as requested herbicides in green and hard standing areas.
- Report any fire risks identified in green areas such as combustible items stored against buildings, gas and petrol canisters and also access issues.
- Report weapons, drugs, drug paraphernalia and any other similar items hidden in the green areas to management, ASB Team and/or Police.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- PA1a & PA6a certificates.
- Knowledge of minor landscaping works.
- To be qualified to GNVQ Level 2 Horticulture or equivalent.
- Full driving licence.
Experience & Skills:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience as an assistant Gardener or Gardener.
- Basic gardening skills to include cultivation of soils, pruning of shrubs & Roses.
- Competent in using a full range of hand tools and powered equipment and an up-to-date knowledge of the safe use of range of motorised equipment such as mowers, strimmers, hedge cutters, blowers, rotovators, including their maintenance and adjustments.
- Manual Handling trained.
- Excellent customer service in a respectful and timely manner.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Full Driving licence (desirable).
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temp Gardener / Horticultural – Neighbourhood Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.