- Pay Rate:
£18.32 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
- Ellesmere Port,
Temporary Senior Finance Assistant – Financial Services
Reference no: W Cheshire 5209187
Hybrid working - predominantly working from home, an occasional day will be required at The Portal Ellesmere Port.
The purpose of the role is to support the provision of advice, information, analysis and interpretation to budget holders to underpin effective decision making, meaningful performance management and meet statutory requirements. The post holder will achieve a high level of customer satisfaction levels and make a real and demonstrable difference to the Council’s business
- Provide advice and support to senior managers in the preparation of Directorate plans, capital programme, revenue budgets and overall performance to ensure that these are set in accordance with the Council’s Finance and Contract Procedure Rules, Corporate Performance Framework and statutory reporting requirements.
- Co-ordinate the monitoring of in year performance against capital and revenue budgets and key performance measures, supporting senior managers and budget holders to develop robust performance management arrangements and to ensure that appropriate and timely management and remedial action is taken.
- Prepare, collate and analyse appropriate financial and non financial management information for Service and corporate managers, including analysis of historic trends and future projections, to ensure that decisions are taken with full knowledge of resource and wider Service implications.
- Undertake, under the direction of senior managers, Service reviews, special investigations and projects to ensure that inefficiencies, performance and budget variances and irregularities are investigated and reported.
- Identify areas of potential financial and non financial performance risk to ensure that these can be investigated and appropriately reflected in business plans and incorporated, as appropriate, within Directorate and corporate risk registers.
- Implement and maintain operational procedures and schedules to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of services to the agreed specification and quality standards across the total client base.
- Develop and foster links with other CW&C corporate services, such as HR, ICT, and Policy and with external organisations such as NHS, other Local Authorities, to promote collaborative working across traditional boundaries to tackle shared issues.
- Advise Service managers on the financial and performance implications of decisions including where appropriate reviewing reports to Service and corporate committees / panels, to ensure that action is taken with a proper appreciation of corporate financial standards and best value considerations.
- Review and report on the development of new and existing business information systems to advise Service managers on best value and management controls in the furtherance of service objectives.
- Provide training and advice on financial and performance systems and procedures to improve service delivery on the security and standard of financial and non-financial performance management.
- Supervise the work of junior staff within a specific team and other staff allocated from time to time, to ensure that tasks are carried out efficiently and that the team meets the objectives set out in the unit plan.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent. (Essential).
- CCAB Qualification or a Relevant Business/Performance qualification. (Desirable).
Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Demonstrable post-qualification experience. (Essential).
- Proven track record of conscientious application and technical reliability. (Essential).
- Variety of experience across relevant disciplines. (Essential).
- Sound working knowledge financial and performance practices and procedures within the public sector. (Desirable).
- Detailed working knowledge and practical expertise in the use of PC and mainframe systems. (Desirable).
- Ability to analyse and present financial and performance data, statistics and trends in a meaningful way. (Desirable).
- Good diagnostic skills and practical problem-solving abilities. (Desirable).
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to plan and prioritise competing workload demands. (Essential).
- Ability to work accurately and methodically, with attention to detail. (Desirable).
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management. (Desirable).
- High degree of commitment, self-motivation and initiative. (Desirable).
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with the minimum of supervision. (Desirable).
- Good oral and written communication skills. (Desirable).
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff. (Desirable)ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Finance Officer – Financial Services Re-opened
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.