- Pay Rate: £16.71 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 11-12 months
- WIDNES, WA8 7DZ
To assist with the delivery of a full range of financial management services, in order to meet both Directorate requirements and the Council’s Corporate financial requirements.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- To assist with preparation of the revenue budget and capital programme, including fees and charges, budgets for grant and other external funding, within approved deadlines.
- To assist with the preparation of year-end final accounts in accordance with all relevant guidance and statutory requirements, and to liaise with the Council’s external auditors.
- Ensure that appropriate budgetary control and monitoring systems are in place, in accordance with the Council's Constitution and Financial Regulations, and that approved financial procedures are operated.
- Provision of regular monitoring reports in respect of all revenue, capital, and externally funded expenditure to the Council’s Management Team, Members and Budget Managers, including the provision of Councilwide financial data and analysis when required.
- To assist with the prompt completion of all grant claims, ensuring proper accounting arrangements are in place for grant-funded expenditure, all available grants are maximised, and to liaise with the Council’s external auditors.
- Provision and collation of information to internal and external auditors. Information to be provided in a timely manner in accordance with agreed timelines.
- To assist with maintenance of the Agresso general ledger, including daily reconciliations of feeder systems.
- To assist with completion of financial returns, statistical returns, performance indicators, and unit cost analyses required by Council, Government Departments and other external bodies, in accordance with the relevant deadlines.
- To provide advice on the preparation of financial reports to senior officers and/or member boards, in order to enable effective management decisions to be taken both for initial budget setting and subsequent in-year monitoring.
- To undertake benchmarking work, compare council costs and income to other authorities and services.
- To attend and contribute to departmental and inter-authority working groups as required.
- To liaise with Government Departments, other Councils, and other external bodies and agencies, as required.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Member of the Association of Accounting Technicians
- Part-qualified CCAB accountant or equivalent - desirable
- Proven experience in a public sector accountancy environment.
- Experience of working in a local government finance environment – desirable
- Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Local Government funding and how Councils are resourced.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the key stages of the annual Local Government finance cycle
- Understanding of local government accounting requirements - desirable
- Understanding of accounting requirements for grant and other external funding – desirable
- Ability to write reports dealing with complex financial issues in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent analytical skills, in order to evaluate and report upon financial data
- Knowledge and experience of undertaking benchmarking exercises - desirable
- Experience of undertaking financial modelling exercises. Demonstration of how these have provided solutions - desirable
- Knowledge of Local Government VAT issues - desirable
- Agresso knowledge, ability to write reports and make use of the system - desirable
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Finance Officer - Education
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.