- Pay Rate:
£17.80 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Temporary Engineer - Highways
Job Ref: 0006 0E07 / 1
The role holder will drive the delivery of a range of highway projects taking responsibility to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory legislation to achieve the Council’s corporate aims and objectives
- To lead, develop and maintain an efficient and effective highways consultancy service that is open to change and innovation and delivers an excellent service, working to ensure the highways service is the service provider of choice for customers and clients.
- Lead the team in developing a strong culture of collaborative working across departments and functions, including liaison with external clients, contractors and suppliers in the delivery of services to the people of Manchester.
- Drive the efficient and effective delivery of projects, managing stakeholder and customer expectations throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Closely monitor the performance of all contract management activities ensuring a high standard of service delivery and addressing issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Proactively utilise business management tools to maintain a transparent financial accounting system and expenditure forecast, taking accountability for resources allocated, providing regular updates.
- Identify the changing needs of service users through appropriate systems. Assist in consulting all stakeholders regarding service development and feedback requirements to line management.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of legislation acting in an advisory role to stakeholders to ensure compliance, dealing effectively with highway legislative matters.
- Actively strive to achieve efficiencies in project, programme and maintenance service delivery and improvements in the quality of service.
- Act as an ambassador for the City Council in relation to Highways Services matters at a variety of public meetings using excellent communications skills to deliver information.
- Provide leadership, direction and motivation to staff through appropriate management and identification of training and development needs to ensure their performance and contribution to the Council is maximised
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or, possession of an MSc in a relevant engineering discipline with demonstrable and appropriate post qualification experience or, full Membership of a relevant Institution with demonstrable and appropriate post qualification experience
- A good understanding of Highway Design and delivery of Highway Design schemes / projects
- Have a good understanding of budgets, governance, and working within a highly political environment
- Experience of the various design phases and an ability to check schemes carried out by others
- Skills to monitor contractor performance against pre-determined milestones and to identify when corrective action is needed
- Ability to identify, assess and manage risks to the success of the project
- Ability to plan, forecast and monitor expenditure against budget, investigates variances and takes timely action to address significant deviations
- Ability to identify patterns and trends that may impact on decisions and propose realistic conclusions identifying the risks and any assumptions made
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Engineer - Highways
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.