- Pay Rate:
£13.53 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Full Job Title: Temporary Early Years Caretaker – Children's Centres
Reference no: Merton 5211470
Enhanced DBS disclosure required
An experienced and reliable caretaker is required to work across a group of buildings in Merton. The successful candidate will take pride in making sure our buildings and grounds provide a safe and positive environment for children, families and staff to use. The right applicant will also be a good team member who can work using their own initiative.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Carrying out security procedures such as opening/unlocking and closing/locking early year’s buildings. Regular checking of alarms, fire equipment and emergency exits.
- Responding to H&S issues and carrying out general repairs and maintenance during operational hours
- Some grounds maintenance duties (weeding, litter picking, tidying etc.)
You will be expected to work a combination of shifts including early, late (night shifts not required) and split shifts to support the early year’s buildings opening and closing times.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- NVQ 2 (or equivalent) in a general building skill and/or Certificate of Health & Safety (or significant relevant experience).
- Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience in supporting the management of building maintenance requirements in a public access, educational or community building.
- Experience of supporting the management of external contractors to ensure that service specifications are met.
- Knowledge of appropriate legislation and their application in the workplace such as 1974 Health & Safety at Work Act, Manual Handling of Loads and direct experience of undertaking effective risk assessment and taking appropriate follow-on action.
- A good understanding of security and fire detection systems and able to carry out regular tests in accordance with Health & Safety Guidelines.
- Skills & Abilities:
- A good standard of written English & Maths so that written records can be kept, resources can be ordered, and the costs of materials can be accurately estimated
- Evidence of a range of skills, such as plumbing, carpentry etc, to ensure basic repairs can be carried out to a high standard, on a day to day basis.
- Ability to undertake redecoration works; including preparation, painting & decorating.
- An ability to prioritise work, assessing levels of risk, timescales, weather, seasons, availability of equipment and resources etc, to ensure work is carried out in a timely and organised manner.
- The ability to work under pressure, with a willingness to work flexibly and meet the changing needs of the environment and the organisation.
- To be able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, keep well written records and logs, write short reports and use IT systems to send and receive information (outlook and excel in particular).
- ICT Skills: Basic IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- *** Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- *** Other Work-Related Requirements: Ability to travel across the borough to children’s centre and early years sites.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Early Years Caretaker – Children's Centres
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.