- Pay Rate:
£18.32 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- CREWE, Cheshire,
Full Job Title: Temporary Contract Quantity Surveyor – Highway Service
Job Reference: E Cheshire 5217061
Pay Rate: £18.32 per hour PAYE
Pay rate is negotiable for the right person
To support the Client function in the effective management of the Highway Service, including the development, implementation and monitoring of the Highway Service Contract. Responsible for undertaking a full range of pre and post contract quantity surveying services, including project management for large and complex major schemes.
- Prepare interim valuations with the contractor’s representative and amend contractor’s submissions as required and process payments to ensure payments are made in accordance with the Conditions of Contract so that the employer’s contractual obligations are fulfilled.
- Prepare financial reports, cost forecasts, carry out variation of price calculations and price variations to the contract works including the pricing of alternative solutions to enable costs to be controlled.
- Work closely with our highways contractor’s management, finance, performance and audit staff to ensure financial and contractual performance is measured and monitored; and assist in determining if the correct payment mechanism has been applied.
- Develop carrying out an audit regime, auditing the contractor’s work and invoicing on behalf of the Borough to ensure standards are met, including identification of disallowable costs.
- Ensure that all matters which may give rise to claims are monitored to enable principles to be established in order that claims may be evaluated more easily and assist in dealing with contractual matters and in the assessment of claims. Represent Team at meetings to discuss quantity surveying matters to ensure adherence to contract conditions.
- To support the Highways Client Team through the management and undertaking of responsibilities, for specific elements of the Highways Services Contract and other associated contracts.
- Provide essential financial and management information relating to the Highway Service to ensure that all staff are working in accordance with the Borough Council Financial Regulations and procedures.
- Supervise the Highways Client Team’s Technical Admin Officer, allocating and appraising work, and handling escalated queries as necessary.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, with extended experience in Civil Engineering or Quantity Surveying
- Professional qualification/ membership of a relevant professional organisation MRICS, MInstCES or equivalent
- Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience in a commercial working environment including tendering, negotiation and confidential matters
- Experience working at Network Rail or National Highways would be desirable
- Previous experience in finance, budget monitoring and forecasting
- Previous experience of developing and successfully carrying out audit processes
- A thorough working knowledge of standard contract forms
- Understanding of methods for commercial auditing of construction works as well as developing and presenting professional audit reports
- Specific Skills required for this Role:
- The ability to plan, budget and programme tasks and work unsupervised and develop and implement new systems
- Able to use a range of specialist surveying and measuring equipment (e.g. planimeters, glass laser, spirit levels etc.)
- Developed written and oral communication skills capable of conveying complex technical and financial information and issues in an understandable way to range of audiences (including non-specialists)
- Numerate with good analytical and deductive skills
- Able to solve unique problems with innovative well considered solutions
- Able to create and maintain working partnerships and relationships, both internally and externally
- Highly developed negotiating and persuasive skills
- ICT Skills:IT literate with proven skills in the use of MS Office applications, particularly Excel
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Other Work-Related Requirements:
- Flexible approach to working
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the borough as required
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Contract Quantity Surveyor – Highway Service
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.