- Pay Rate:
£12.42 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Islington, London,
Temporary Central Grounds Maintenance Operative – Waste Services
Reference no: Islington RQ606695
Enhanced DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The purpose of the role is to carry out general cleansing, waste management, grounds maintenance and park keeping duties as directed by supervisor.
- Give full cooperation in the implementation and operation of the latest information and communication technology which will be designed to enhance efficiency, safety and rapid communication.
- Give total commitment to developing and maintaining an excellent health and safety culture within the organisation and a high level of awareness amongst all staff working together towards zero accidents and work related ill health.
- Report any potential dangerous hazards or occurrences identified during the working day to line supervisor or driver.
- Ensure high levels of service, staff will be required to work all Public Holidays excluding Christmas Day and there will need to be staff on standby to deal with emergencies. This will not prevent individual staff members from not working on any particular public holiday, provided adequate cover is available to meet the needs of the service on that day. To work agreed overtime after Public Holidays or other disruptions to the normal service as required.
- Support ways of working to improve recycling, waste minimisation and maintenance of parks and open spaces including recording and reporting waste collection problems such as contamination or incorrectly stored waste through the established reporting system.
- Record and report properties where there is a potential for waste reduction and increased recycling. Or reporting areas of grounds maintenance not meeting service standards.
- Undertake safely the collection of all types of waste; cleansing of streets or parks and open spaces and work individually or as part of a team and ensure that segregated waste streams are not obviously contaminated with non-conforming material or waste.
- Take care in undertaking duties not to cause damage to Council or third party vehicles, plant, equipment, property etc. and where damage is caused to report any incident to your driver or supervisor at the earliest opportunity.
- Wear the correct uniform and personal protective equipment appropriate for the task while on duty and that it is in a clean and safe condition.
- Work flexibly and undertake a range of Public Realm duties as required, including where directed work on Winter Service duties to an agreed winter maintenance plan if your particular service is suspended due to adverse weather conditions.
- Work to an agreed winter service plan when you will be expected to work for reasonable periods of time in winter conditions. You will be provided with the appropriate warm PPE for working in cold weather conditions.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Willingness and Ability to achieve a nationally recognised qualification, in either cleansing, waste management, grounds maintenance. (NVQ Level 1 or similar).
Skills & Experience:
- At least 6 months experience as a loader, sweeper or grounds maintenance operative.
- To have the ability to carry out repeated moderate and heavy lifting and sweeping activities.
- To have the ability to provide verbal reports, and the ability to report in writing.
- Willingness and ability to use computer terminals (including hand held terminals) and mobile phones.
- To be able to work as part of a team or own initiative.
- To have the ability to adopt safe working practices, and to have a working knowledge of health and safety regulations. To be able to comply with safe practices in the provision of the service.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temp Central Grounds Maintenance Operative – Waste Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.