- Pay Rate:
£12.98 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, shift work and weekends
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months.
Temporary Cemetery Technicians x4– Manual Labour
Reference no: Lewisham 0005 FDFB / 1
The post-holder will undertake a wide variety of gardening and or grave-digging duties as part of a team involved in the preparation of graves for burial or exhumation and the maintenance of the crematorium and cemeteries grounds.
- Undertake all duties with due regard to the cemeteries and crematorium environment.
- Undertake horticultural and labouring duties within the cemeteries and crematorium
- Deal sensitively and sympathetically with members of the public, funeral directors and ministers of religion.
- Cemetery maintenance
- Drive vehicles such as tractors and ride on mowers
- Use of trimmers, blowers and mowers
- Undertake as part of a team, all duties related to burial or exhumation including assisting with grave digging duties when required
- Excavation of graves either with mechanical excavators or by hand ensuring the grave is dug in the correct position, verifying grave and plot numbers
- Undertake the locking and unlocking of the cemetery gates when required.
- Drive/Operate heavy plant and machinery, i.e. 360o and 180o excavators, dumpers and lorries
- Undertake pre use inspections and daily maintenance of the heavy plant and machinery
- Plan, lay out, plant and prune flower, rose and shrub beds
- Perform all duties in line with Health and Safety guidelines
- Workon sensitive sites
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- Previous experience of working in a similar role/environment
- Experience of operating heavy plant and machinery and carrying out pre use checks and S3 daily maintenance on same.
- Experience of dealing with the public.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety issues in relation to grave-digging/memorials/gardening/use S2 of tools and equipment
- Basic knowledge of burial law and requirements.
- CPC card for driving-desirable
- Expert on the use and basic maintenance of small plant and machinery and driving of departmental vehicles and specialist equipment
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations and procedures
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to operate and control equipment.
- Ability to be thorough and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible and open to change.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Physically fit
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Cemetery Technicians x4– Manual Labour
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.