- Pay Rate:
£14.58 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- ISLINGTON, London,
Full Job Title: Temporary Cemetery Maintenance Operative – Environment
Reference no: Islington RQ607232
Carry out safety inspections on memorials using the computer software packages and testing equipment provided by the cemetery and make safe as necessary.
To carry out all required building and other premises related inspections and general maintenance works in accordance with current procedures and legislation.
To assist in the maintenance of cemetery grounds as required including clearing paths, gardening, laying paving stones, trench digging, erecting fencing, clearing overgrown areas.
- To assist the Premises and Asset Manager in the efficient and effective management of memorials, buildings and structures within all Cemetery Grounds managed by Islington and Camden Cemetery Services.
- To undertake, depending on location and access, any special clearance work surrounding unsafe memorials and to erect temporary fencing and signs ensuring that areas identified as at risk are clearly visible to the public
- To assist with replacing metal/resin plaque memorials for ash plots and carrying out any other site maintenance duties as required.
- To carry out premises management duties under the direction of the Cemetery Premises and Asset Manager
- To drive and operate a full range of vehicles as required (e.g. dumpers, vans, lorries with trailers).
- To deal politely, tactfully, and sympathetically with members of the public, and funeral directors ensuring appropriate regulations with respect to cemeteries are adhered to and to be aware of that legislation.
- To carry out chapel duties as required.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A NAMM Memorial Inspection and Memorial Repairs Certificate or similar is desirable OR a willingness to undertake these and future courses will be considered.
- Experience of outdoor working with general building tasks under adverse conditions within cemeteries or similar environments is essential. Experience of working with memorials is desirable.
- Experience of working within a small team and on own initiative is essential.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to use a palm top to produce simple reports
- Ability to use hand and power tools for repairing, moving and laying down memorial stones.
- Ability to drive a range of vehicles including dumpers, lorries and light vans with trailers
- Ability to deal tactfully and sensitively with members of the public
- Ability to keep inventory records
- Ability to locate, investigate and rectify complaints in connection with graves and / or memorials
- Ability to liaise and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with members of the public, contractors and with statutory agencies
- Ability to work outside normal hours if required
- Ability to ensure compliance with legislation relevant to the working of the cemeteries and crematorium including Health & Safety at Work legislation
- ICT Skills: Basic IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- *** Other Work-Related Requirements: Full driving licence
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Cemetery Maintenance Operative – Environment
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.