- Pay Rate:
£19.18 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- Croydon, London,
Temporary Building Surveyor– Engineering & Surveying
Reference no: Croydon 6346
Hybrid working arrangement
A Building Surveyor is required with experience and understanding of building maintenance and identifying building defects. The post holder will review quotations, proposals for works etc. and decide appropriate course of action quickly. They will need to be focussed on tackling and resolving reactive repairs quickly as opposed to developing the reported issues into elaborate projects.
- Advise members of the public and colleagues of options in relation to repairs, improvements and adaptations of residential dwellings.
- Advice on Council policy in relation to disabled adaptations, private sector renewal, empty properties, repairs to adaptations, handyperson services and any other associated services.
- Carry out the full range of building surveying tasks associated with the identification, specification and implementation of building and associated works to residential properties.
- Procure contractors to undertake building and associated works in line with the Council’s Contract Standing Orders and local procedures
- Act as Contract Administrator for designated building projects, including issuing of site instructions and authorisation of payment certificates.
- Liaise with statutory, professional and other bodies to ensure that all legal requirements in relation to building works are met.
- Commission specialist reports in relation to proposed works, for example, structural engineers or asbestos removal.
- Evaluate reports provided by specialists, acting upon advice and ensuring the service user or other client is properly informed.
- Liaise with engineering staff and external suppliers and manufacturers of specialist equipment for people with disabilities.
- Ensure that any installation meets the needs of the service user and liaise with other professionals involved in building projects or prospective building projects including occupational therapists, housing caseworkers, housing advisors and policy staff in order to advise on technical matters and to undertake joint working as required.
- Conduct feasibility studies, to undertake structural and conditions surveys of both housing and non-housing buildings, to advise on repair and maintenance issues and to assess properties for suitability for occupation by disabled people.
- Maintain accurate records of casework and other projects, where appropriate using computerised ordering and recording systems, including computer aided design
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- Good understanding of building maintenance and able to identify building defects.
- Construction related Degree (Building surveying preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of current legislation, regulations, codes of practice relating to construction and adaptation
- Experience of using Schedule of Rates contract/s and electronic ordering systems
Skills & Abilities
- Decisiveness – ability to review quotations, proposals for works etc. and decide appropriate course of action quickly.
- Focused on tackling and resolving reactive repairs quickly as opposed to developing the reported issues into elaborate projects.
- Ability to multi- task
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good IT Skills and knowledge of databases and Microsoft packages
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Building Surveyor– Engineering & Surveying
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.