- Pay Rate:
£18.52 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
To provide a comprehensive surveying, specification and estimating function within Building Services.
- The post holder shall perform the following functions with regard to quantity surveying matters: preparation of bills quantities, design specifications, valuations on contracts and measurement of works on site. In addition, preparation of claims contracts, schedules of rates, small estimates etc. for various clients.
- Be required to process documentation/information to aid various sections to perform their works efficiently within QA procedures, cost/value reconciliations of contracts and small works etc. to aid financial controller in production of accounts.
- Carry out sub-contractor evaluations post contract, originating sub-contract enquiries, raising of orders and controlling sub-contract accounts.
- Negotiation, preparation and agreement of final accounts for and with various clients and record spend against programme performances.
- Lead on the procurement of contracts for projects with the support of the Procurement Team and Surveying Team Leader. This will include the preparation of tender documents, the identification of the most suitable tendering process and the evaluation of tender submissions in accordance with the Council’s policies and procedures, and in line with good practice.
- Manage the day to day relationship with contractors for your projects/contracts, including regular contract meetings, pre-start meetings, on-site inspections, post inspections, maintaining records against which payment can be made, ensuring all relevant information is collected for DBC Safeguarding requirements, preparation of the Health and Safety file and the team’s asset management database.
- Estimating – preparation of tenders, negotiations of contract sums and general estimating in the following areas:-
- New build contracts including new housing
- Maintenance works within the scope of the Building Maintenance Term Contract
- Re-chargeable works
- Small works as required by other departments
- Partnering contracts
- Lead on the procurement of contracts
- To procure and manage contracts.
- In respect of Housing Capital and Revenue Works ensure that proper communication is provided to all customers affected by the works, utilising the Customer Liaison Officer services where appropriate and provide regular progress reports for Building Services and Housing colleagues.
- Ensure that the quality of workmanship and customer care are maintained and monitored, and contractor performance is managed in a professional manner, encouraging a partnership approach to contract management and service delivery.
- Provide technical advice to other Housing and Building Services staff where required
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- HNC in Building Studies or equivalent
- Degree in Construction related subject - desirable
- Knowledge & Experience:
- A sound knowledge of construction and Building Surveying techniques and practices.
- Broad knowledge of housing repair and maintenance, including all relevant new builds.
- Managing budgets and sound knowledge of contract documentation and preparation.
- Awareness of health and safety issues, including CDM regulations, roles and responsibilities of duty holders.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of procurement, contracting, and monitoring.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the construction industry (construction/maintenance environment).
- Experience in project management from inception to final account.
- Experience of working in a contracting setting.
- Experience of Local Authority processes - desirable
- Skills & Abilities:
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, together with the ability to use appropriate styles and arguments to influence and negotiate satisfactory outcomes.
- Ability to deal confidently with members of the public, colleagues, Members and external organisations.
- Ability to work to broad policy guidelines and to use discretion and act on own initiative as required.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and maintain accurate records.
- To be able to present information in a logical and systematic manner.
- Ability to interpret figures with skill and understanding.
- Ability to scope capital schemes.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
- Other Requirements: Access to reliable transport to carry out the travel requirements of the post.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Building Services Surveyor
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.