- Pay Rate:
£18.23 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5 months
Basic DBS disclosure required
Assessment Officers required who have skills and knowledge in processing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, New Claims and Change in Circumstances along with DHPs, Resident Social Funds, Reconsiderations, Appeals, Complaints, UC stop Award Notices.
To assist customers in meeting their rent and/or Council Tax payments by accurately determining their entitlement to Housing and Council Tax Benefit, complying with HB regulations, case law and council policy
To communicate with customers, landlords and other stakeholders face-to-face, by e-mail, telephone and in writing, as is most appropriate to meet and resolve the customer’s needs.
To ensure customers’ continued correct entitlement to benefit and protect the council’s financial position in terms of minimising subsidy loss.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Minimum of 12 months recent months Housing and Council Tax Benefit assessment experience, preferably within a similar role and ideally within a public sector organisation
- Must have Northgate V6 experience
- Knowledge and experience of providing a customer focussed advice, information, enquiry, transactions and complaints handling in a demanding customer facing environment across various access channels (face to face, telephone, post and online)
- An understanding of Housing Benefits, Council Tax Support, Council Tax and Social Care Financial Assessments
- Specific Additional Order Requirements:
- Knowledge of providing a customer focussed advice, information, enquiry, transactions and complaints handling.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Housing Benefits, Council Tax Support, DHP’s RSF, Recons, Appeals Complaints and UC stop award notices.
- Excellent decision making skills and an ability to analyse problems to find solutions at the first point of contact.
- Ability to effectively interpret a range of different legislation, guidance and policy and clearly explain the information to customers verbally or in writing.
- Ability to take responsibility for own workload and decisions
- The ability to work on complex casework, including areas of legislation which require the application of discretion or judgement.
- The ability to handle and respond to complaints and appeals, and other areas requiring discretion or judgement.
- Good judgement, analytical and comprehension skills
- To be able to deal sympathetically with distressed, agitated, confused or irate
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word packages and the ability to effectively use a range of IT systems and applications
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.