- Pay Rate:
£13.18 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Temporary Accountancy Officer – Finance
Reference no: Worcestershire RQ611046
The purpose of the role is to support the Principal Accountant / Auditor and senior management within finance in providing a full and quality financial management service to Budget Holders, Service Managers, Heads of Service, Assistant Directors all Council officers and Worcestershire Pension fund (WPF) and delivering assurance of processes, controls and governance.
- Provide financial advice and support to Council staff and WPF staff on all aspects of financial management and ensure financial governance is adhered to.
- To act as the finance representative at appropriate meetings including project and management teams to provide financial challenge, solutions and advice.
- Provide financial advice and support to Management Teams and WPF on all aspects of financial management and financial planning and ensure that appropriate financial governance is in place where there are arrangements with external stakeholders.
- Gather data and information and provide expert advice regarding responses to consultations.
- Assist in projects and reviews, providing financial information advice and appraisals as required.
- Support the senior finance staff in providing strategic financial advice and challenge to the commissioning and contracting processes including Pension fund investments.
- Complete financial investigations and appraisal on proposals such as changes to service delivery, new developments or government policy changes and advise Service Management accordingly on the financial aspects of the proposed changes.
- Ensure that Authority and Directorate financial procedures operate effectively and are in accordance with the scheme of delegation, standing orders and financial regulations.
- Ensure the delivery of an effective, high performance, customer focussed financial service that is continuously improving.
- Deputise as appropriate for the Principal Accountant / Auditor and other senior managers within finance, allocating and checking the work of the Accountancy / Audit Assistants.
- Support senior managers within Finance in the development of the finance service ensuring consistency of approach across the council
- Supervise team priorities with regard to workloads in consideration of conflicting deadlines and re-prioritisation of duties and responsibilities where necessary balancing the needs of the team and customers.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Is a member of a professional accounting body following qualification (e.g. AAT or equivalent) or a relevant degree.
- Demonstrates evidence of continuing professional development relating to the above.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Demonstrable experience of analysing, interpreting and presenting complex financial concepts and information in an understandable form.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a finance environment.
- Demonstrable experience in a supervisory or management role.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of budgetary formulation and control.
- Demonstrable experience of effectively building partnerships and working co-operatively with a range of internal and external contacts and groups.
- Demonstrable experience of Financial Management either in a local government or other public-sector organisation.
- Experience of challenging data and providing innovative solutions.
- Experience dealing with writing reports, giving presentations and providing training.
- Working knowledge of Local Government and public services.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Significant up to date expert level of knowledge required to undertake budget preparation and reporting for the relevant service
- A substantial and expert understanding of information requirements related to financial monitoring and control.
- Significant knowledge of the development and application of information technology within the Finance function.
- A substantial expert knowledge of sound financial practice, procedures and systems.
- Substantially developed skills in accounting procedures and methodologies.
- Well-developed communication skills, particularly in the presentation of complex financial concepts and information in the format appropriate to a variety of different circumstances and audiences.
- Proven ability to design and implement systems and procedures with adequate internal controls.
- Proven people influencing and networking skills including being able to effectively challenge and show sound judgement
- A demonstrable ability to advise and guide managers to develop sound financial practices and processes
- Able to produce detailed, accurate and high-quality reports with a logical structure that are clear and succinct and are of the standard required to provide reliable management information.
- Ability to interpret, assimilate and translate complex financial information and to prepare reports from this information.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Temporary Accountancy Officer – Finance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.