- Pay Rate: £18.77 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Ormskirk, L39 2DF
A Disclosure Scotland Basic Check is required and this role is subject to a BPSS Security Clearance check.
A Senior Legal Executive / Assistant Solicitor is required to assist in the provision of a comprehensive, proactive and cost effective, professional legal service.
- To have special responsibility for the carrying out of all complex freehold, common hold and leasehold property and land transactions
- To have special responsibility for advising in respect of all complex property and land matters
- To have special responsibility for advising in relation to all complex procurement and contractual matters having substantial implications for the Council
- To be the lead legal officer in respect of all regeneration matters including those concerning the compulsory acquisition of land
- To act as the lead legal advisor in respect of special projects including, but not limited to, housing and regeneration initiatives such as the Strategic Asset Management Process, Land Auction Pilots, Right to Build, Asset of Community Value, Local Development Orders
- To undertake such legal duties as are assigned, including the drafting of documentation in new work areas, rarely with resort to precedent, to include the creation of bespoke legal agreements, contracts, notices, orders and byelaws
- To create new working practice statements in developing legal areas and the refreshing of existing working practice statements to ensure legal compliance, industry best practice and maximum efficiency in service delivery
- To advise in relation to the Leisure and Market functions
- To prepare and conduct cases (including advocacy, as appropriate, or instruction of Counsel) in the Magistrates’ Court, the County Court, the High Court and at Tribunals or Inquiries.
The applicant must hold a current Driving Licence or have equivalent mobility and access to transport. They should be willing to attend evening meetings and work outside normal office hours when required.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Your address (including post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Current Driving Licence or have equivalent mobility and access to transport.
- A Disclosure Scotland Basic Check is required.
- This role is subject to a BPSS Security Clearance check.
- Qualified Legal Executive/Solicitor or Barrister.
- Knowledge & Skills:
- To have thorough knowledge of local government legislation.
- Able to operate independently, managing conflicting priorities effectively whilst working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to lead and team and line manage others, with effective resource planning skills.
- Methodical and well organised, with a commitment to providing a quality service and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with Elected Members, senior managers, outside bodies.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to analyse complex problems and provide effective and innovative solutions to them.
- Ability to consider and assess risks associated with the services and undertaking risk assessments as required.
- Ability to identify mitigating measures that may be implemented to minimise risk.
- To have extensive recent experience of complex land matters including complex freehold, leasehold and landlord and tenant matters and transactions.
- To have experience of advising in relation to complex contractual and/or procurement matters.
- To have experience of advising in relation to regeneration matters including the compulsory acquisition of land and other special projects.
- To have experience of working on matters/projects within a multidisciplinary team and providing imaginative and innovative input.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience.
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
- To have experience of working within Local Government or other large public sector organisation.
- To have experience of attending and advising at local authority Committees, sub-Committees or other such meetings.
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via firstname.lastname@example.org but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temp Sr Legal Executive / Asst Solicitor – Land & Property (IMMEDIATE START)
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.