- Pay Rate: £17.33 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 3 months
- PORTSMOUTH, PO1 2AL
The role is responsible for dealing with complex planning proposals of significant reputational and financial weight, and associated appeals and providing guidance and advice to a wide range of customers within and outside the organisation. The post will also be responsible for the day to day management of enforcement and planning officers. You will be part of a team that will deliver a responsive development management service focused on delivering sustainable development and growth within Portsmouth.
The role is responsible for dealing with planning proposals and associated appeals and providing guidance and advice to a wide range of customers within and outside the organisation. The post will also be responsible for the day to day management of enforcement and planning officers. You will be part of a team that will deliver a responsive development management service focused on delivering sustainable development and growth within Portsmouth.
This is a role which contributes to the sustainable development and long term economic prosperity of Portsmouth and the wider area, by:
- Dealing with a diverse range of development proposals from pre application to post application stage, where necessary presenting the Council's case at appeal.
- Represent the Council as expert witness at public Inquiries.
- Represent the Council in prosecutions relating to enforcement matters working with the DM Team Leader to manage the enforcement function to deliver a responsive and proportionate service.
- Working with the DM team leader to manage the technical support team and to provide effective technical support, ensuring that the working practices of the team change to respond to changes in legislation.
- Prepare reports and give professional advice to Members and committees/ panels on matters relating to the work of the team.
- Providing guidance and support to enforcement officers, validation and planning officers and the technical support officer.
This individual will bring strong leadership to this high quality development management role in the following areas:
- Development Management.
- Customer services.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Have a relevant planning qualification and/or:
- Relevant Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Knowledge & Experience:
- Have knowledge of planning legislation and experience of working within Development Management.
- Have a clear understanding of the role development management plays in delivering regeneration.
- Have the ability to provide leadership on development management and enforcement matters.
- Have a proven track record of successfully dealing with development proposals.
- Have a good understanding of local government the political environment and sensitivities.
- Have experience in dealing with enforcement.
- Skill & Abilities:
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to act as a catalyst for change and take forward new ideas.
- Have highly developed communication and negotiation skills.
- Have a good understanding of local government and the political environment.
- Be able to demonstrable skill as an influencer and negotiator across a broad spectrum of people.
- Have a demonstrable understanding of performance management.
- Have the ability to apply a problem solving approach to your work.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to develop partnerships with other organisations.
- Have the ability to work on your own initiative.
- Be well organised and self-motivated.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temp Principal Planning Officer - Development Management
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.