- Pay Rate:
£26.58 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Wembley, London,
Interim Strategy Lead - Policy
Reference no: Brent 5225315
Pay Rate: £26.58 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 3 months
To support the Policy and Scrutiny Manager in the development and delivery of the Council’s corporate strategies, initiatives and projects to ensure that the Council meets its statutory responsibilities and has appropriate policies, procedures and protocols in place to meet those responsibilities. To provide advice and guidance, managing projects, preparing communications and working with cross cutting groups, departmentally, corporately and with multi-agencies to deliver effective services.
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the Council.
- Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability.
- Manage a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
- Ensure that the Council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the requirements of the service.
- Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations.
- Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues supporting corporate strategic policy and change agendas in order to delivery effective services.
- Provide high level advice and policy support on the strategic issues and challenges facing the Council, including horizon scanning and building the Council’s capacity to think and act innovatively and creatively, supporting the development of a shared policy agenda and programmes for coordinating policy responses across services, contributing to the development and delivery of the borough plan and the implementation of the planning framework.
- Undertake comprehensive corporate and departmental policy and strategy reviews including medium and longer term planning in order to underpin the development and delivery of the Council’s shared policy agenda.
- Attend public meetings and community forums as required to present information on and respond to strategic service planning and policy matters.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Evidence of relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Experience of working in Local Government or other public sector body and working in a political environment.
- Experience of managing complex workloads.
- Experience of leading and implementing the development of key policies, including researching and analysing complex information to make recommendations on improvements in service delivery.
- Experience of managing projects and programmes.
- Experience of providing advice to senior leadership to up Board level.
- Experience of developing and updating cross organisation strategies.
- Experience of line management.
- Experience of effectively managing budgets.
- Experience of building and managing effective relationships and contacts with a wide range of stakeholders across services.
- Knowledge and understanding of local government and how it relates to the development of new policy development and service planning.
- Knowledge of how policies are developed in large organisations.
- Knowledge of policy areas, e.g. public health, housing, social care.
- Knowledge and understanding of the major factors, influences and challenges facing local government.
- Good working knowledge of standard Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to effectively manage people, performance and budgets in order to achieve agreed outcomes and business objectives.
- Effective project management skills.
- Skills in working across multiple disciplines.
- Expert report writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to collect, organise and interpret a large amount of data from a variety of sources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work with a wide range of internal and external contacts, including Directors, senior managers, elected Members, public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritise and manage several projects simultaneously and organise and manage conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Strategy Lead - Policy
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.