- Pay Rate:
up to £15.50 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Temporary Strategic Procurement Officer
Reference no: Cambridge 5227988
Pay rate up to £15.50 per hour PAYE depending on experience
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
To support the Procurement Team in delivery of the corporate objectives and the overall success of Council by working efficiently and effectively with all colleagues across the Council as well as with suppliers, external partners and other Councils. To manage the procurement portal by liaising with the portal provider. To ensure that there are correct audit trails for all procurements and to maintain the contracts register. To support in the monitoring and implementing a Council-wide procurement service able to deliver the requirements of stakeholders in a timely fashion often under considerable time constraints
- Be proactive in advising Departments about opportunities for more effective procurement (including more efficient procurement practices and strategies) together with details of the arrangements necessary to take advantage of them in order to achieve the Council’s priorities.
- To assist managers and Members to determine the best procurement options for any given projects or services; proactively to ensure that alternative methods of services delivery or procurement are investigated.
- As assigned, take part in high value and high risk multi-disciplinary and multi-agency project teams around procurement projects or other initiatives as well as low value tactical purchasing if required.
- Be responsible for maintaining and updating, the Council’s procurement guidance and procurement intranet and website.
- Be responsible for maintaining the contracts register and schedule of future procurements and relevant items within the corporate Risk Register.
- To keep progress against the Council’s Procurement Strategy under review. To develop work programmes and actions arising from the Strategy as necessary.
- To identify general training needs of managers and Members and to provide help, support and training on procurement best practice.
- To collect and analyse relevant management information and financial data to identify areas of significant spend on goods and services that can be consolidated into single corporate or framework agreements and where appropriate, to make arrangements for their supply.
- Respond to Freedom of Information Requests as necessary.
- To collaborate with other authorities, local or regional bodies and the voluntary sector to develop and enhance procurement within the Council
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- 3 A Levels or equivalent (desirable)
- Sound understanding and practical use of EU and UK procurement legislation
- Substantial experience of major public service procurement
- Experience of finding and presenting solutions and communicating ideas and information
- Experience of monitoring performance and challenging poor or non-compliant performance
- Experience of using strategic project and procurement project support and risk management techniques in a procurement project team setting
- Skilled in using Microsoft Office packages
- Analytical, decisive and able to display sound levels of judgement
- Able to communicate with staff and Members at all levels throughout the authority
- Capable of writing in plain English and expressing complex issues in a clear, concise, logical and well-structured way
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Strategic Procurement Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.