- Pay Rate:
£36,378.00 per annum
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- Newham, London,
Strategic Procurement Officer (Grade 7/8)
Job Ref: Newham TCL140722
Pay Rate: £36,378 per annum; however the client is prepared to pay up to £41,586 if they consider the candidate has sufficient experience.
Currently remote working model for the time being but attendance at either council offices may be required
The purpose of the role is to be the procurement expert to advise, undertake, guide and support a number of higher-value procurement projects across Newham and Havering councils. You will be carrying out a wide-ranging strategic and operational role within the team helping both councils to achieve value for money in their contracts with external organisations.
This is an excellent opportunity, and is a career graded post spanning three grades, allowing you to develop to progress and grow your career within a fast moving and forward thinking team from Strategic Procurement Officer (SPO Level 1) through to SPO Level 2 and further to Senior Strategic Procurement Officer (SSPO).
Successful applicants will be enthusiastic, collaborative and have a can-do attitude when it comes to problem solving and project planning.
- Manage the end-to-end procurement process and work with clients to ensure they are advised and supported on the use and application of provisions contained within the Councils’ standing orders and procurement legislation.
- Develop and deliver routine strategic sourcing activity within the department, including review of appropriate routes to market, options appraisals and agreeing recommendations with service users.
- Forecast and deliver savings and other sources of value to support councils’ objectives/priorities.
- For routine procurements, to ensure contract preparation, tenderer selection, tender evaluation and contract controls are implemented and operated throughout the council in a corporate, consistent and co-ordinated manner.
- Advise and assist service users to ensure the delivery of an efficient and effective strategic procurement process.
- Represent the Councils’ interests at regional buying consortia and the negotiation of regional procurement contracts for routine goods and services.
- Assist with ensuring the delivery of sustainable procurement outcomes.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Studying towards CIPS Level 3 Certificate in Procurement and Supply Operations or equivalent, or at the very least hold a desire to acquire a professional procurement qualification.
- Previous extensive experience of running end-to-end procurement processes in a public sector environment and in compliance with the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Good knowledge of commissioning and procurement best practice.
- Experience of e-tendering portals.
- Excellent communications and negotiating skills.
- Experience of formal report writing and excellent writing skills.
- Experience of planning, organising and prioritising workload
- Ability to manage multiple projects and effectively manage own workload.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Strategic Procurement Officer (Grade 7/8)
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.