- Pay Rate:
£28.31 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- KENSINGTON, London,
Interim Solicitor (Legal and Procedural) - Childcare
Reference no: Kensington 5225011
Pay rate: £28.31 per hour PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 3 months
This role is to work as part of a team providing legal and procedural advice to Officers and Members across two Boroughs and bringing a proportionate and well-rounded perspective to clients’ cases. To offer robust, nuanced, risk-assessed advice and take on a wide range of tasks to support the team. Undertake a varied and challenging childcare caseload to include (but not exclusively) care proceedings, PLO cases, cases involving the High Court’s inherent jurisdiction, age assessments, s17/ s20 disputes, secure accommodation, DoLs, and miscellaneous Children Act applications without day-to-day supervision and to manage time and responsibilities accordingly. To report to, liaise with and assist the Principal Solicitor, Chief Solicitors and Director of Law as necessary.
- Provide the efficient and cost-effective delivery of legal services in the Social Care and Education Team within a culture of customer focus, continuous improvement, service excellence and employee development and give adequate and timely legal advice to the Councils and their various departments on all matters relating to child protection.
- Undertake complex and routine legal cases including (but not exclusively) care proceedings, PLO cases, cases involving the High Court’s inherent jurisdiction, age assessments, s17/ s20 disputes, secure accommodation, DoLs, miscellaneous Children Act applications, without day-to-day supervision and to manage time and responsibilities accordingly.
- Conduct proceedings, public inquiries, appeals and judicial reviews in the Courts and before Tribunals and to appear as an advocate as appropriate.
- Deal with all matters within the Team and to report to, liaise with and assist the Principal Solicitor, Chief Solicitors and Director of Law as necessary. Caseload will include high profile, politically sensitive and financially weighted cases.
- Draft, prepare and collate statements of case and other legal documentation, to advise on law and evidence, to interview witnesses and draft statements and affidavits and to have general conduct of all matters which are the responsibility of the post holder ensuring that time limits applicable to the case are complied with.
- Draft and advise on reports for the Cabinet, Cabinet Members, Council Committees and Sub-Committees and to attend such committees and other meetings as the Director of Law may require.
- Ensure that all procedural/standing order requirements are complied with and advise Members as necessary. Where appropriate, and in accordance with the Services’ protocol, to instruct Counsel and/or external solicitors.
- Ensure proper records are digitally maintained on the case management system relating to all work undertaken.
- Monitor changes in the law and practice as they effect the Team and implement changes when necessary. Meet monthly and annual chargeable hours targets.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of CILEx entitled to practice in England and Wales.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with and advising on Local Authority’s duties and powers in relation to children/ young adults as listed in description of duties.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of advising on complaints and judicial review matters relating to children/young adults.
- Demonstrable ability to effectively communicate standard and complex legal issues to Members and officers and to provide cogent legal advice accordingly.
- Demonstrable ability to work constructively with Council Members to a high degree of political sensitivity.
- Experience of working within or for Local Government.
- Experience of representation at Courts, Tribunals and Inquiries, including undertaking public inquiries and judicial reviews.
- Broad knowledge of Local Government law (and in particular how decisions are made) or equivalent knowledge.
- A command of written and spoken English which is appropriate for the effective performance of the role.
- Diplomatic, enterprising and a skilled drafter, with the fluency to explain legal issues to non-specialist colleagues.
- Detail focused and compliant with internal procedures and processes ensuring that work is done correctly first time.
- Able to work in a fully virtual and digital environment.
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Solicitor (Legal and Procedural) - Childcare
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.