- Pay Rate:
£30.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Interim Solicitor/Barrister – Financial & Legal Services
Reference no: Dudley 1004693
Pay Rate: £30.00 per hour PAYE
Standard DBS disclosure required for this role
The busy and supportive Legal team require a qualified and experienced solicitor to undertake legal services in a range of areas by delivering responsive, high quality and effective legal services to all parts of the Council.
- Provide legal advice and support to relevant service areas and to work as part of a team in progressing strategic Council projects.
- Advise and assist as necessary on all aspects of local government, commercial, contract, procurement and subsidy control issues (to include working as part of a team in progressing strategic and commercial projects).
- Assist in providing an effective interface with external legal advisers, and where appropriate financial, technical and insurance advisers, helping to ensure that the Council’s commercial and service requirements and sensitivities are understood and properly reflected in procurement and contractual documentation.
- General contractual work (to include, but not limited to, grant funding agreements, joint venture agreements or partnership/multi agency agreements and IT, construction and commercial contracts) including advice on and ensuring compliance with and contributing to the updating of the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules.
- Draft and negotiate contracts, agreements, orders, notices and related documents (or elements of these as required), ensuring due diligence.
- Contribute to the resolution of any contract disputes relating to projects and procurements.
- Assist service areas to ensure that governance processes are in place which enable decision making on project and procurement activity which minimise the risk of challenge.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A Solicitor, either with a current practising certificate or eligible to apply for a practising certificate, or a qualified Barrister or a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives, or possessing an equivalent qualification gained in another jurisdiction.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Excellent communication and team skills.
- Ability to interpret legislation in a common sense and practical manner, having due regard to the Council’s legal responsibilities.
- An understanding of the concepts underpinning administrative and corporate law as it relates to local government.
- Knowledge of the law relating to the area of service where the assignment is based.
- An awareness of the issues that face local government.
- Substantial experience within the legal profession.
- Experience of providing legal advice in the area of the assignment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to present to diverse audiences, including elected Members, senior officers, staff and external agencies.
- Ability to analyse, use and present complex data in a clear and informative way. ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Solicitor/Barrister – Financial & Legal Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.