- Pay Rate:
£12.41 per hour PAYE (negotiable)
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- NEWBURY, Berkshire,
Full Job Title: Temporary Senior Technician - Street Works
Job Reference: W Berkshire 5220332
Pay Rate: Pay Rate: £12.41 per hour PAYE (negotiable for the right candidate)
This role will be community based following induction at the Office in Newbury.
Responsible for assisting in the application of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) as amended by the Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA) and the Council’s South East Permit Scheme.
Assisting with the day to day management of street works and works for road purposes on the West Berkshire highway network.
- To be responsible for assisting with the inspection regime and related activities of the Street Works team associated with Statutory and Private Undertakers and WBC highway works under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Traffic Management Act 2004 and the Highways Act 1980 including the following:
- Inspecting sites in accordance with the Code of Practice for Inspections.
- Ensuring that the Specification for the Reinstatement of Openings in Highways has been adhered to.
- To liaise with Statutory and Private Undertakers as necessary.
- To ensure the requirements of the West Berkshire Permit Scheme are adhered to.
- To provide support to the Streetworks Technicians, acting as first point of contact for any escalated enquiries.
- To be responsible for gathering and collating evidence in relation to the enforcement of NRWSA, and in particular Sections 56, 60, 66 and 74, and assist in the timely submission of such evidence to the Statutory Undertakers and WBC.
- To be responsible for gathering and collating evidence in relation to the enforcement of TMA Parts 3, 4 and 5 and assist in the timely submission of the required evidence to the relevant parties involved.
- To attend local HAUC and associated meetings as required.
- To assist with the delivery of statutory obligations under TMA Part 2 and Code of Practice for the Co-Ordination of Street works and Road works and associated matters.
- To contribute to the development of corporate policies and procedures relating to NRSWA and TMA activities in West Berkshire.
- To liaise with members of the public, other departments and other relevant parties on matters related to NRSWA and TMA.
- To use council systems for recording and monitoring correspondence, and maintaining appropriate records.
- To assist in the consideration of applications for Licenses and Permits, where appropriate, to conduct Street Works and install apparatus. Ensure attendance of site meetings as required and assist in the issue of Licenses.
- To assist with the allocation and processing of customer enquiries and complaints.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) including English, Maths and a Technical or Science subject.
- Operational application of NRSWA
- Liaison with contractors and third parties
- Experience of supervising contractors on site
- Co-ordination of Street Works
- Knowledge and understanding:
- Understanding of Health and Safety Legislation and the requirements in connection with works on the highway.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of working with the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA).
- Knowledge of legislation including permit schemes, TMA 2004, Highways Act 1980 and NRSWA 1991 - desirable
- Good understanding of information systems and their application to service delivery - desirable
- Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent presentational, verbal and written skills.
- Ability to prioritise and manage a complex workload.
- Friendly and approachable manner with customers.
- Ability to recognize and develop opportunities for service improvement.
- ICT Skills:
- Basic ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Ability to use Outlook, and a web browser to access information
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- *** Other Work-Related Requirements: Full driving licence.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Technician - Street Works
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.