- Pay Rate:
Up to £29.87 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Senior Strategic Planner
Reference no: GLA 0005 72FE / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £29.87 per hour PAYE depending on experience
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
A Senior Strategic Planner is required to support the Planning Team by assessing strategic planning applications against the London Plan and make planning recommendations to the Mayor of London. The Senior Strategic Planner will also need to lead on the chairing or pre-application meetings, and the preparation of written advice for the development industry.
- Provide expert advice on, and research into, current and emerging strategic planning matters, spatial development trends and issues facing London.
- Provide spatial planning advice to senior group of staff on development management, Local Development Documents and other mayoral concerns, including those arising from the proposals of other organizations and local planning authorities.
- Contribute to the production of London Plan, SPGs, Opportunity Areas, related planning frameworks (OAPFs) and development infrastructure and funding assessments (DIFS) that interpret strategic and local policy and guide area based development and growth areas.
- Briefings and reports for the Mayor, Assembly and other organisations on planning and spatial development issues.
- Lead or contribute to the initiation, design, management and completion of relevant policy development projects and research.
- Lead or contribute to advice on planning briefs, development proposals and the plans and strategies of other agencies especially Local Development Documents and the development plans of authorities outside London.
- Lead or contribute to coordination, liaison and engagement processes necessary to address spatial development and planning issues.
- Prepare responses on behalf of the GLA to complex issues raised by the public and diverse agencies.
- Liaise and work with the group of staff and external organisations including boroughs, partnerships, consultancies, academic and voluntary agencies to address the Mayor’s planning and spatial development concerns.
- Lead on or contribute to representation of the Mayor’s planning and development policies, concerns and objectives to examinations in public or representation hearings, including those into Local Development Documents, commissions and public inquiries.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualification in planning and relevant professional experience as a senior planner within a similar organisation or business environment.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of national, regional and London strategic planning and development issues and trends.
- Experience of strategic spatial planning and urban land use policy;
- Experience of Strategic infrastructure planning and funding mechanisms including Section 106 planning obligations, Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and/or other funding approaches.
- Experience and knowledge of urban design and heritage, London views management framework, including townscape and visual assessment.
- Experience of Local Plan and development plan document related policy development and monitoring, including supplementary planning documents and guidance.
- Development management experience and ability to process and negotiate strategic planning applications or related development.
- Project management experience and skills at producing timely and effective development briefs or related frameworks, development infrastructure assessments, Opportunity Area Planning Frameworks or growth related Area Action Plans.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Strategic Planner
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.