- Pay Rate:
Up to £36,371.00 per annum PAYE, depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is Permanent
Full Job Title: Senior Regulatory Lawyer x2 – Legal Services
Reference no: S Hams 5209020
The main responsibilities are to provide professional legal advice and support to the Councils’ development management, strategic planning, planning enforcement and regulatory functions, together with representing the Councils in courts, inquires and tribunals. The Senior Regulatory Lawyer may also provide legal advice and support to the Development Management and Licensing Committees when necessary.
The Senior Regulatory Lawyer will work with other members of the Legal Services Team to deliver a comprehensive legal service to the Councils. This may involve assisting the Monitoring Officer and the Deputy Monitoring Officers to respond to code of conduct complaints and other governance-related issues.
- To provide proactive and high-quality support to the Director of Governance and the Head of Legal Services, in relation to the Councils’ development management and strategic planning, planning enforcement and regulatory (including licensing, environmental health and housing) functions.
- To negotiate and draft planning obligations
- To draft notices and other documents related to the above functions (including any necessary court documents in connection with the prosecution of offences or defending any appeals).
- To represent the Councils and the Head of Legal Services in Courts, Inquiries and Tribunals
- To provide professional and clear advice (both orally and in writing) to the Councils, Committees, Members and officers on planning, enforcement and regulatory matters.
- To instruct Counsel and to attend conferences with Counsel
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Practising Solicitor or Barrister (or equivalent qualification and experience)
- Experience of working in local government sector
- Experience working closely with Councillors or partner organisations
- Recent experience in planning and regulatory legal matters including drafting, negotiating and finding solutions to complex issues
- Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels
- Experience of working across boundaries or different areas of work to achieve desired outcomes
- Exercise sound judgement in the public interest, setting out options and risks to Council as necessary Track record for providing legal advice at short notice in a variety of settings
- Capable of managing competing priorities and overseeing varied case load.
- Ability to give clear explanations whilst advising on complex legal matters
- Good verbal and written communication skills including influencing skills
- ICT Skills: IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- *** Experience working closely with Councillors or partner organisations Recent experience in planning and regulatory legal matters including drafting, negotiating and finding solutions to complex issues
- *** Dealing with complaints and investigations
- *** Experience of litigation and advocacy
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Regulatory Lawyer x2 – Legal Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.