- Pay Rate:
£35.99 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Senior Planner – Planning & Growth
Reference no: Southwark 5228135
Pay Rate: £35.99 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
The purpose of the role is to be responsible for working with local partners/stakeholders and other units/departments within the Council to identify and manage project opportunities that support the Council’s key objectives within defined areas and linking this to the determination of planning applications, preparation and implementation of planning policy and guidance, projects or other activities related to the town planning service.
- Deliver complex and specialised planning services including development management, the preparation of planning policy, and delivery of planning related projects in accordance with recognised performance standards and delivery plans.
- Contribute to decisions and recommendations regarding development management, planning policy, planning services and planning projects and activities that will have lasting effects on the development of the borough and impacts on the local environment, economy and community. The postholder will carry out research, evaluation and work on cases and projects with the potential to impact on the development value of land in the borough, the amount of development that can take place, the delivery of council priorities such as affordable housing and have major environmental impacts.
- Provide advice on the statutory planning process reaching high standards of clarity and accuracy and to ensure that the impacts of planning and transport policy and decisions are properly monitored and reported to demonstrate that they are effective in achieving the council’s aims. The postholder will provide advice with the potential to impact on the legal, reputational and financial risks faced by the council.
- Support team working with other professional staff on transport planning decisions, planning and transport policy and projects demonstrating an understanding of project management fully cooperating with all relevant colleagues and partner organisations and in accordance with all relevant procedures.
- Contribute to innovation and promotion of service excellence so that all aspects of the service are delivered in the most effective way.
- Demonstrate political awareness in the provision of expert advice to the public and senior officers of the council on planning decisions, policy and projects that are the responsibility of the postholder.
- Maintain the improvement in equal opportunities in employment, contribute to Southwark Stands Together, and service delivery.
- Undertake other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the post.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A degree in a relevant subject or a relevant professional qualification and evidence of continuing professional development with an understanding of management concepts, practices and principles gained through experience.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience in a busy planning service, developing staff and responsibility for applications or projects.
- Ability to write and present information clearly and concisely which is appropriate to the context and audience. This should include qualitative and quantitative techniques and evaluation and justification of evidence and consultation responses.
- Effective written, numeracy, verbal communication including clear briefs for action.
- Ability to follow instruction, learn new tasks and take responsibility to own development.
- Experience of strategic planning and decision making at a local and regional level, working with a diverse local community, analysing their views and needs to achieve a positive outcome.
- A in depth understanding of urban planning and regeneration issues in a major city context and how town and planning can contribute to this.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Planner – Planning & Growth
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.