- Pay Rate:
£18.76 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
- Wembley, London,
Temporary Senior Payroll Officer – Financial Services
Reference no: Brent 5227901
Pay Rate: £18.76 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
The principal purpose of this post is to assist the Team Leader in ensuring that the Council and Clients have effective and efficient systems and controls in place for the payment of employees ensuring compliance with Council and Customer terms and conditions Financial Regulations and Statutory requirements.
The post holder will require an in-depth working knowledge of payroll legislation to be able to process all payroll variations and emergency payments as well as associated tax, pension and NI implications.
- Assist the Team Leader with the formulation and implementation of detailed Service objectives and policies, with the appropriate Team Leader.
- Ensure the effective and efficient implementation of Council policies and the achievement of the Council’s corporate and financial objectives, with the appropriate Team Leader.
- Ensure that policies and services are responsive to community needs and that equal opportunity issues are identified and addressed effectively.
- To contribute to co-operative working across services and directorates in accordance with the Council’s vision and values. To lead and co-ordinate cross service initiatives as and when required.
- To assist the Team Leader to direct the work of the Payroll team, motivating, training and developing staff to ensure that the objectives of the section are achieved within the timescales laid down and that all procedures and requirements are met.
- Develop training programmes for service users including managers on all aspects of the payroll system, identifying training needs, providing training in person and the production of instruction manuals. Provide On-going support and advice for all users of the payroll system.
- Maintain and control electronic systems and files for bulk upload of specific variations to payroll including expenses, timesheets, honoraria, sickness, mileage etc, undertaking necessary reconciliation to ensure the completeness and accuracy of data.
- Prepare statements and invoices, maintaining detailed account of all overpayments and recovery plans
- Compile statutory returns within required deadlines and ensure that all internal reports and procedures are undertaken within set timescales
- Maintain a full understanding of Statutory Maternity, Sickness, Paternity and Adoption leave.
- Check and monitor work prepared by Payroll Officers & Apprentices to ensure that the correct procedures are being followed and that all regulations are complied with. Review the calculations for accuracy. Identify any cases where there is a discrepancy between iTrent and HMRC Regulations and escalate these for investigation.
- Identify and carry out training for Payroll Officers and Apprentices.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Hold a relevant qualification in payroll, such as Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals foundation Degree.
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs including English and Mathematics passes at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- In-depth understanding and significant working experience in a payroll environment with proven understanding of current and expected payroll legislation.
- Knowledge and understanding of the work involved at Senior Payroll Officer level including Statutory Maternity, Sickness, Paternity and Adoption leave.
- Ability to check the work of others accurately, providing feedback and training accordingly.
- Supervisory skills in assisting with allocation of workloads
- Show initiative in resolving problems with Employees, Managers and within the Team.
- Progression to Senior Payroll Officer will be dependent on having performed to a consistently high level against agreed performance targets whilst a Payroll Officer, the assessment of which shall be made by the appropriate Team Leader or Manager.
- Ability to understand technical payroll and pensions queries.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Payroll Officer – Financial Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.