- Pay Rate:
£25.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5 months
Interim Senior Legal Officer - Children & Families
Reference no: Manchester 0007 33F4 / 1
Pay Rate: £25.00 per hour PAYE TBC
This opening assignment is for 5 months
Standard DBS disclosure required for this role
Hybrid working available
Please note that the pay rate for this role is likely to be uplifted to reflect a higher than standard holiday allocation
The role holder will be able and committed to working in a flexible manner including outside normal office hours, when the role necessitates the same.
The purpose of the role is to provide efficient and high quality legal advice and representation for Manchester and Salford City Councils and where appropriate to external bodies working within a specific area of law.
The role holder will provide effective advice on complex and sensitive legal issues in a constructive and positive manner.
- Provide advice to clients on relevant legal issues through knowledge of policies, practices and procedures, and ensure the effective management and maintenance of case files, in compliance with specific quality assurance requirements.
- Negotiate and draft legal documentation, including briefs/instructions to in-house advocates and external counsel.
- Conduct advocacy before the Courts, which may be contested, on behalf of the Council and external clients
- Research law and procedure to a high professional standard and keep abreast of legal developments.
- Assist and co-operate with other members of the team and other officers within Legal Services and provide cover as required. Comply with the Legal Services’ Manual of Practice Management Standards and Procedures.
- Undertake such other legal duties commensurate with grade as are assigned to the post holder by the City Solicitor or the Head of Legal Services, demonstrating political sensitivity at all times.
- Assist with the other work of the group as required and contribute to and assume a shared responsibility for the effective running and efficiency of the team
- Comply with the Legal Services’ Manual of Practice Management Standards and Procedures
- Able to effectively influence a range of stakeholders in order to achieve beneficial outcomes for the shared legal service.
- Personal commitment to continuous self development and service improvement.
- Through personal example, open commitment and clear action, ensure diversity is positively valued resulting in equal access and treatment in employment, service delivery and communications.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- CILEX Professional Diploma in Law (Level 3) or equivalent legal qualification.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience in children and family law is required.
- Ability to manage a complex range of functions and manage multiple priorities with confidence.
- Ability to maintain focus and objectivity under various conditions and skill in maintaining a multi priority workload, progresses a variety of ideas and plans concurrently. Evidences targets set by self and others to meet demanding timescales.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify and respond to risks to the achievement of operational objectives and strategic priorities and pressure.
- Skills to analyse a wide range of data and other sources of information, to break them down into component parts, patterns and relationships.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Legal Officer - Children & Families
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.