- Pay Rate:
£25.49 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- ISLINGTON, London,
Full Job Title: Interim Senior Engineer – Traffic
Job Reference: Islington RQ717237
Pay Rate: £25.49 per hour PAYE
To provide specialist professional engineering services and to support junior professional, technical and support officers in the Traffic & Engineering Service.
- As a member of the Team to be jointly responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the Team and to carry out such technical functions as may be required; to ensure Service Management Team decisions are carried out as appropriate.
- To provide, maintain, develop, design, implement and pro-actively improve the services provided by the Service accord with Council policy and in particular:
- are efficiently and effectively discharges with the active participation of the local community, the voluntary sector, business and specialist groups as appropriate using appropriate consultative techniques.
- are accessible to all members of the community and geared resources to their needs.
- are of a high quality commensurate with available resources and represent value for money in meeting the Customer and Client expectations and requirements.
- To aid in acting as a Council’s spokesperson on Engineering and Traffic matters when requested.
- To assist in progressing the effective project management of assigned projects through all stages from conception through to implementation and monitoring. With support undertake the role of Project Manager for smaller/medium projects including consultation, programming, planning and co-ordination.
- To co-ordinate, prioritise work, establish work programmes and schedules for the assigned functional areas of work and ensuring their achievement and providing or securing technical guidance and training as necessary in this connection.
- To develop, design, consult, progress and implement measures to assist, enhance, maintain and promote the use of the highway network and infrastructure and be responsible for ensuring information and administrative support is provided for statutory functions under the Highway Act 1980 and associated legislation and functions.
- To be responsible for ensuring that all actions of the post holder confirm to the Council’s quality standards and policies, Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments, Standing Orders, Service and Departmental Office Manuals, Financial Regulations, Contract Management and Administration systems and procedures, etc.
- To assist in the production, development and review of contracts, technical codes of practice and the tendering process from pre-feasibility to post implementation reviews for the assigned functional areas of responsibility.
- To assist in the administration of consultants, the preparation of consultant’s briefs, the evaluation of tenders and reviewing consultant’s performance in relation to the assigned functional areas of responsibilities.
- To assist in preparing advice to senior management and Council on the effects of relevant new or draft legislation, Codes of Practice or other initiatives, publications or developments, ensuring that appropriate Members and other interested parties are properly briefed and advised.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Corporate Membership or Incorporated status of a recognised professional engineering institution in at least one of the disciplines within the service or a qualification in Engineering/Transportation to degree level or equivalent with at least 4 years of successful high quality post qualification experience or a proven track record of successful high quality professional, engineering experience in one or more of the functional areas of the service.
- Experience in the various forms of public consultation techniques and working effectively towards user participation to meet Customer/Client expectations and requirements.
- Experience in report preparation and presentation at Committees and other public gatherings and ability to deal effectively with concerns of elected Members.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- An understanding of the principal responsibilities of, and the key issues facing, local government and in particular the legal and professional framework associated with Engineering and Traffic matters.
- An awareness of the environmental issues facing an inner central London Borough.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively (both written and orally) and to present complex information and advice clearly and concisely, at all levels within and outside the Council.
- Ability to implement and maintain those management and administrative systems, including IT systems, necessary for the delivery of cost effective, high quality services.
- Ability to develop workable and innovative solutions in problem solving situations.
- Ability to work corporately with other staff.
- Ability to manage and control the financial affairs and resources of assigned projects.
- Ability to be a pro-active team player, good communicator, responsive.
- Prepared to work with our partners and contractors and authorities as part of our shared services programme.
- Ability to analyse complex problems and develop strategic, creative and practicable solutions.
- Minimum of 12 months recent office administration experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Engineer – Traffic
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.