- Pay Rate:
up to £21.68 per hour PAYE depending on experience (tbc)
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
Reference no: Newcastle 6209813831523
Pay rate up to £21.68 per hour PAYE depending on experience (tbc)
To contribute towards the delivery of an effective and efficient internal audit service to the Council (and relevant external bodies)
- To plan and complete complex internal audit assignments as allocated by the Principal Auditor in line with internal quality standards, performance targets and professional audit standards.
- To provide advice and guidance to officers of the Council, partners, project groups and boards in respect of improving efficiency and effectiveness of the control environment, system development and the prevention and detection of fraud.
- To undertake the external audit of grant claims and provide an independent opinion to a funding body on whether grant monies have been spent in line with the grant criteria.
- To maintain a detailed knowledge of systems operations, including the principles of assurance, control, value for money, performance management, risk management, security and information governance and to apply this to all audit work.
- To interpret complex cases of suspected fraud and corruption and conduct investigations in line with legislation and industry standards to achieve the most appropriate outcomes for the Council as allocated by the Principal Auditor.
- To provide input and feedback to the Head of Audit and Strategic Risk to contribute towards the formulation of the annual and strategic audit plan prior to it being approved by the Audit Committee for the relevant body.
- To identify, develop and report on cost effective, efficient and practical audit recommendations to address control weaknesses, inefficiencies, poor value for money and inadequate performance, which when implemented add value to business processes across the Council, and to discuss these with Senior Management.
- To support Head Teachers and school governors in achieving the Schools Financial Management Standard (SFVS) through compliance reviews at schools, liaison with Schools Forum and Head Teachers and contributing towards training for Governors and Head Teachers.
- To contribute to the development of policies and procedures.
- To work closely with risk management colleagues to ensure effective communication of risks in preparing and planning audits and identifying issues for consideration within risk registers
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- PIIA; MAAT or part qualified CCAB
- Sound knowledge and understanding of internal auditing
- Knowledge of local government and the current public sector environment
- Knowledge of the Public Sector Internal Audit Standard
- Knowledge of auditing of ICT systems
- Experience of undertaking audit assignments, reviews, evaluations, studies or investigations of complex or sensitive systems and processes
- Experience of working to specified quality standards and to deadlines
- Experience of working in an internal audit or local government finance environment
- Good written communication skills including the ability to write reports and present work clearly
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.