- Pay Rate:
£435.09 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire,
Interim Senior Accountant – Financial Services
Job Ref: Cambridge 5244673
Pay Rate: £435.09 per day PAYE
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
City: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the achievement of the highest possible professional standards in all financial information, to help ensure that public funds are properly accounted for and well managed.
- Prepare Annual statement(s) of accounts in accordance with current accounting requirements, for the Council and other associated legal entities.
- Ensure that the auditors of these statements are fully supported to assist in a satisfactory conclusion of the accounts.
- Assist all staff in compiling financial information to ensure it is accurate, timely and fit for purpose including development of various presentation methods to facilitate planning production and publication to members and officers of the council and external bodies as appropriate.
- Identify, analyse and report on the financial accounting implications of Council initiatives, new projects, and new accounting and statutory requirements, including recommendations on system developments and sources of information for decision making purposes.
- Maintain and develop capital accounting, in line with changes in accounting requirements, for all council assets including Joint ventures where appropriate.
- Undertake Collection Fund accounting, including forecasting of Non-Domestic Rates, and Council Tax.
- Complete grant claims, government returns, questionnaires and other returns in an accurate and timely manner.
- Research and respond to Freedom of Information and personal data requests relevant to the Finance service to ensure compliance with legislation and Council policies.
- Assist in the supervision, mentoring, training and development of team members.
- Be responsible for the co-ordination of specific projects and areas of work, as assigned by the Deputy Chief Finance Officer including attendance at Council Committees, working groups and other organisations as requested.
- Deputise for the Deputy Chief Finance Officer in all matters relating to the management and workload of the Section.
- Carry out any other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of the post.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Fully qualified CCAB accountant or equivalent qualification.
- CIPFA qualified with evidence of continuing professional development desirable.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Extensive experience of working in finance and accounting in a complex organisation to include applying accounting standards to a high level and completion of statutory accounts.
- Experience of working in finance and accounting role in a local authority to include completion of statutory accounts and central government accounting returns.
- Experience in accounting for non-current assets, including revaluations, and maintaining an asset register.
- Experience of providing financial advice to management.
- Experience in accounting for non-current assets in a local authority, including Housing Revenue Account dwellings and commissioning and liaising with external valuers.
- Experience of writing clear reports on complex and technical financial subjects and the ability to present these to various audiences.
- Capable of completing and presenting formal written reports for senior management, elected members and other stakeholders.
- Experienced in dealing with external audit queries.
- Experience at an advanced level of a range of office software systems e.g. MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint or equivalents.
Skills & Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and accounting practice.
- Good working knowledge of the CIPFA Code of Practice and local authority regulatory environment and statutory accounting requirements.
- Extensive knowledge of Collection Fund Accounting.
- Able to inspire trust, confidence, respect and credibility from a range of people.
- Awareness of the external environment and its impact on the Council.
- Ability to deal with change and support new ways of working.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Senior Accountant – Financial Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.