- Pay Rate:
Up to £40.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4 months
Interim Quantity Surveyor - Capital Programmes & Procurement Service
Job Ref: Manchester 0008 12EB / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £40.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 4 months
Candidates must be able to work outside normal office hours, if required.
The role holder will fulfil a commercial position within the service area and will be required to manage the commercial elements of allocated construction projects taking responsibility for end-to-end service delivery.
The role requires commercial experience in a construction project related environment, with an ability to support the delivery team by ensuring that all commercial requirements are fully defined and managed.
- Preparing feasibility studies and writing procurement reports.
- Applying Value Management techniques at the outset of a project.
- Estimating and cost planning activities taking ownership of and presenting project cost plans.
- Participate in the procurement process, under the direction of the Project Manager, ensuring that all stages including pre-qualification, enquiry, analysis, selection, and contract preparation are performed effectively, including producing tender documentation.
- Ensuring that post-contract cost variances and change control processes are implemented and managed effectively.
- Ensuring that cost checking and valuation work is managed effectively.
- Ensuring the production of monthly cost reports, where applicable.
- Value engineering and life cycle costing.
- Taking responsibility for making sure that cost checks are undertaken throughout the project and that final accounts are negotiated and agreed.
- Ensure projects are managed to the right quality standards and are completed efficiently and on time.
- Ensure relationships are developed with clients and other stakeholders.
- Personal commitment to continuous self-development and service improvement.
- Through personal example, open commitment and clear action, ensure diversity is positively valued, resulting in equal access and treatment in employment, service delivery.
- Drive the development of a strategic approach to resource planning, procurement and commissioning in order to deliver a cost-effective and efficient service. This may be through contract management and service commissioning, or through the management of a business unit.
- Identify, recommend and develop solutions for improvement to commercial and commissioning activity, aligning them with customer feedback and legislative shifts to continually enhance the service.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Holds a qualification (e.g., BSc, MSc) in quantity surveying.
- Willing to undertake or working towards or holds full membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g., MRICS, etc).
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Ability to advise and put case across in relatively straightforward, non-contentious situations with ability to negotiate agreements.
- Ability to advise others and deal with sensitive issues in difficult situations inside and outside own area, negotiating riskier demands.
- Demonstrable working knowledge and experience of quantity surveying.
- Must demonstrate experience of pre-contract, post contract and cost planning within a construction environment, and will also have experience and knowledge of working with various contracts such as PSPC, JCT and NEC3/4 (ECC and TSC).
- Proven construction experience to join a dynamic service delivering a complex programme of project across a diverse portfolio of work on behalf of the council.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Quantity Surveyor - Capital Programmes & Procurement Service
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.