- Pay Rate:
£18.35 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months, likely to be extended
- PORTSMOUTH, Hampshire,
Temporary Principal Transport Planner
Reference no: Portsmouth 5237888
Pay rate: £18.35 per hour PAYE
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months, likely to be extended
City: PORTSMOUTH, Hampshire
A Principal Transport Planner is required to focus on the development and delivery of on-street residential electric vehicle infrastructure scheme, particularly the development of technical specifications and tender documentation. To engage and consult with members, external stakeholders and residents on transport planning issues addressing varied and complex queries/issues raised.
- In conjunction with the Transport Strategy Team Leader and Transport Planning Team Manager, developing the strategic transport planning and policy framework for the city's transport, specifically electric vehicle infrastructure.
- Delivery of on-street residential electric vehicle infrastructure scheme, particularly the development of technical specifications and tender documentation.
- Support the delivery of the new Local Transport Plan and development of any related transport strategies, specifically the electric vehicle strategy;
- Take a lead role in contributing to the development, review and ongoing assessment of the Local Transport Plan and in particular to be responsible for the annual review of key sections within the Plan.
- Provide transport input into other council strategies being developed by other departments.
- Provide input to and represent the Council at Solent Transport, Transport for South East and other external partnership bodies as required. Provide technical transport planning advice to internal and external clients as required.
- Advise and guide Transport Planners, by providing technical expertise and experience in solving more complicated problems. Act as a role model and take on some responsibility for supervising work of others on particular projects and provide training for others.
- Respond to and deal with transport planning queries raised by members of the public, Councillors and other stakeholders.
- Build on existing relationships with elected members and key decisions makers, act as both an influencer to assist in the determination of transport priorities, and a conduit to articulate technical and sensitive decisions to a range of audiences.
- Advance the provision of electric vehicle infrastructure within the city through the development of effective working relationships with operators, other local authorities and key stakeholders. Project management and delivery of projects related to the electric vehicle infrastructure.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Relevant degree level education OR demonstrable equivalent professional experience is essential.
- Membership of a professional body desirable.
- Experience of working in with politically sensitive or potentially controversial issues.
- Experience of dealing with financial and budget management.
- Experience of, and well-developed, project delivery skills, including coordination, liaison and the ability to plan and monitor project plans in order to achieve major projects on time and within budget.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate messages (which may be complicated or sensitive) clearly, concisely and at a level appropriate to the audience, who may not be specialists in transport planning.
- Proven ability to represent the service with direction at highly challenging internal/ external meetings, with integrity and confidence.
- Demonstrate high levels of verbal communication and reasoning, putting forward persuasive and compelling arguments.
- Excellent writing skills including the ability to write clear, basic and appropriate information for reports, articles and briefing papers including technical and Cabinet reports where necessary.
- A team player ethos.
- Able to keep up-to-date with best practice in the profession, seeking innovative approaches to transport issues and developing best practice solutions.
- Able to demonstrate higher level thinking skills, in order to think through issues, make connections and establish solutions which draw on this bigger picture view of transport.
- Able to make connections between disparate issues, and creatively combine solutions to solve multiple problems.
- A customer focused approach to work which promotes your passion to deliver excellent service and continuous improvement on transport issues for the City's residents.
- Able to work independently and proactively, along with the ability to prioritise, make decisions and think through complex and conflicting issues and manage competing priorities.
- Able to build credible working relationships, build rapport and negotiate with and influence others and to develop positive partnership ways of working, with a range of stakeholders.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Principal Transport Planner
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.