- Pay Rate:
£21.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
- STOKE ON TRENT, Staffordshire,
Interim Principal Insurance Officer - Audit & Fraud
Reference no: Stoke 5222542
Pay rate: £21.00 per hour PAYE
To manage the council’s insurance portfolio, including insurance arrangements for the council’s external companies. To actively defend liability compensation claims and litigation against the Council on a cost effective basis in conjunction with the Council's Insurers and Legal Advisors to reduce the cost of risk where possible.
Establish and maintain an appropriate and cost-effective insurance portfolio as required by the Assistant Director - Finance to protect the council’s financial standing and to provide professional insurance advice and claims handling services to the council, directorates and schools.
To formulate, develop and promote insurance risk management awareness and good practice across all areas to reduce the cost of the council’s risk. Devise compliant processes for service areas where requested and provide legal and insurance advice to the strategic manager to enable the proficient settlement of liability claims. Resolve all insurance liability claims (excluding those related to housing) through interpretation of policy wording and developing case law.
- Establish, maintain and continually review an insurance portfolio suitable for the council’s requirements.
- Establish, maintain and review specialist insurance schemes for schools’ requirements.
- Provide professional advice on insurance and self-funding techniques for the council’s benefit.
- Provide professional insurance services and advice to the council, directorates and schools.
- Manage and defend liability compensation claims and litigation against the council on a cost-effective basis in conjunction with the council’s insurers and legal advisers to reduce the cost of risk where possible.
- Provide claims management advice and handling services for other insurance claims for the council, directorates and schools.
- Provide financial information on insurance and liability self-funding costs for accounting and budgetary requirements.
- Attend court to give evidence or to support other Officers in the defence of claims to reduce the cost of compensation payments made by the City Council.
- Liaise with Legal Counsel / Solicitors both pre-trial and at Court to decide whether to continue to defend the action or make a compromise offer to minimise the eventual cost to the City Council.
- Ensure the council’s insurance policies and the schools’ insurance schemes are arranged on a cost-effective basis and renewed as required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Achieved or working towards the Chartered Insurance Institute (FCII or ACII) or the Institute of Risk Management (AIRM) or other relevant qualification.
- Achieved a Fellow of Institute of Legal Executives Qualification.
- Insurance risk management experience in asset protection, legal liabilities, business interruption and business continuity in the public or private sector and consequent achievements.
- Demonstrate significant experience litigation and claims handling.
- Demonstrate experience of developing effective working relationships.
- Practical experience of arranging insurance covers and self-funding techniques in a large organisation.
- Demonstrate experience of effective negotiation and applying influence to benefit the organisation.
- Experience of effective claims handling practices for legal liability and other insurance claims.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of insurance risk management principles, practice and techniques.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of insurance covers available, insurance principles and practice, self-funding and alternative risk financing techniques.
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant legislation, law and legal practices relating to local authorities.
- Knowledge of insurance context within which public services and local government operate.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of claims handling procedures for liability and other insurance claims.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and influence a wide range of people inside and outside the council including senior managers.
- Ability to negotiate effectively to achieve the best results for the council.
- Ability to undertake analytical analysis to include trend analysis and performance monitoring.
- Able to lead, motivate, train and develop a small specialised team.
- Work to a high professional standard including having necessary attributes to write reports, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Able to handle a large wide-ranging workload.
- Lead by example, team player with commitment to improvement and knowledge sharing.
- Self-motivated problem solver.
- Good communicator demonstrating a strategic approach.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Principal Insurance Officer – Audit & Fraud
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.