- Pay Rate:
Up to £34.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience T
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Fengate, Peterborough,
Interim Principal Engineer - Highway Control
Reference no: Peterborough (HQ) 11179
Up to £34.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hybrid – candidate will need to commute and work in Peterborough as work dictates
The purpose of the role is to lead a team in carrying out the duties of development control including providing statutory planning consultations, technical vetting, inspections and adoption of development related highway works under Section 38, 184 & 278 of the Highways Act 1980.
- Provide a comprehensive response, as a representative of the Local Highway Authority, to the Planning Service in response to statutory consultations in respect of planning applications and Pre-planning enquiries for new development. This will include evaluation of Transport Assessments and/or Travel Plans, negotiating developer contributions and assessing highway infrastructure requirements under a S106 Agreement. A proactive approach will be essential in finding solutions to assist with the Council’s Growth Agenda.
- Take the lead role for major developments whilst mentoring and supervising others on pre-application enquiries and planning application consultations. Allocate and monitor performance of others in both quantity and quality for all consultations.
- Undertake the detailed technical assessment of development related highway works proposed for agreements under Section 38 and Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 with a view to offering technical approval in a timely manner.
- Be the lead senior officer and advise colleagues on matters relating to the technical vetting, approval, inspection, adoption and maintenance of drainage and SuDs elements of developer led highway schemes submitted under S38/278 of the Highways Act 1980.(5%)
- Work as part of the team ensuring that Peterborough meets its requirements under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 and the Highways Act 1980.(5%)
- Work closely alongside other officers and teams within Planning, Transport and Engineering to ensure that the SuDS process works smoothly right through from approval of drainage applications, to the adoption and ongoing maintenance of the systems by PCC.
- Lead and co-ordinate the vetting, inspection and adoption of development related highway works under Section 38 and Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980. This includes serving notice and undertaking enforcement action where works have not been carried out in line with formal agreements.
- Mentor, train, supervise and monitor all colleagues with respect to carrying out technical vetting under Section 38 and Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 to ensure that a comprehensive and timely response is provided. Constant monitoring of technical vetting will need to be carried out to ensure an excellent quality and fully detailed response is always provided.
- Inspect highway works in relation to Section 184/38/278 of the Highways Act 1980. Ensure formal adoption of new highway works or existing highway works.
- Provide advice on implementation, construction and adoption of new, and improvement of existing highway works relating to development including inspection and approval. Where necessary give consideration and approval to temporary traffic management proposals.
- Assist the drainage team with the review of developer led sustainable drainage systems.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Hold a current full UK driving licence.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Substantial experience of assessing planning applications or pre-application enquiries for all types of development and of varying scales up to large scale.
- Experience of preparing or assessing Transport Assessments.
- Experience of preparing evidence for and presenting the transport case as an expert witness for highway matters at an informal hearing and planning inquiry.
- Experience of successfully negotiating transport related elements of Planning Obligation Agreements under S106 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990.
- Substantial experience of designing of and/or vetting of Section 38 and 278 proposals under the Highways Act 1980.
- Experience of supervising and mentoring staff.
- Substantial experience of inspecting highway works subject to future adoption, both under Section 38 and 278.
- Demonstrable knowledge of all aspects of transport elements of development control.
- Sound knowledge of planning guidance i.e. NPPF, highway guidance DMRB, Manual for Streets and other relevant documents.
- Demonstrable knowledge of all aspects of design, construction and adoption of developer-led highway works.
- Knowledge of the use of traffic or transport planning models.
- Knowledge of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
Skills & Abilities:
- Proven work experience of problem solving and achieving objectives.
- Well developed communication skills - both oral and written. In particular good negotiating skills.
- Ability to work within and across organisations.
- Ability to analyse issues / problems on site, identify options available and advise planners/ developers / contractors accordingly.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing in a balanced, clear and authoritative way.
- Ability to work in a pressured environment and be able to prioritise workload.
- Ability to stimulate innovation and encourage creativity in others.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Principal Engineer - Highway Control
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.