- Pay Rate:
up to £26.70 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday - Friday, 08:45 - 17:15
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- LEAMINGTON SPA,
Interim Principal Accountant - Financial
Reference no: Warwick 5245110
Pay Rate: up to £26.70 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 37 Monday - Friday, 08:45 - 17:15
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
City: LEAMINGTON SPA
To play a key role in the overall financial management of the Council in accordance with legislative requirements, Fit for the Future and best practice.
Planning, directing and controlling the preparation and monitoring of budgets, Final Accounts, statistics and statutory financial returns, ensuring the financial integrity of the Council’s accounts and Financial Management Systems and aiding financial decision making across the Council at all levels. Assist the Strategic Finance Manager and deputise when necessary.
- Play a key role in designing implementing and controlling processes to prepare, report and monitor the Council’s budgets. Thus ensuring expenditure, income levels, and Council Tax/Housing Rents/Capital Financing be determined by the Council in accordance with current legislation requirements, financial constraints, and statutory returns.
- Responsible for the production of the Council’s Final Accounts within agreed timetables and strict statutory deadlines. Interpreting and implementing the implications of any changes to the accounting standards required to prepare the annual Statement of Accounts. Advising the Head of Finance and Strategic Finance Manager on these. Design, compile and produce the Statements of Accounts, in accordance with the statutory accounting standards. Design, produce and continually enhance detailed working papers, to the highest standards required by external audit. Secure the completeness and accuracy of all the information disclosed to external audit’s satisfaction so as to achieve an unqualified audit opinion within statutory deadlines.
- Play a key role in the development of accounting and budgetary systems in order to enhance the provision of financial services as a support service and strengthen the financial management of the Council. Lead on various system upgrades etc. as required.
- In conjunction with other Senior Finance Officers, provide a first point of contact with Central Government and other external organisations, such as the External Auditors, and major suppliers e.g. the Council’s Bank and key Software Suppliers.
- A key member of the Accountancy Services’ Management Team, contributing to the development of the Service and Team Operational Plans, commenting upon the draft Service Plan and proposed TOP. Take responsibility for the areas under their specialism ensuring delivery within timescales. Overall management of the staff under the direct control of the postholder, planning, training and reviewing their performance to enable them to reach their full potential and to achieve the most effective and efficient use of resources for the Section. This will maintain a high-quality service.
- Be a Financial Advisor to Members and Officers at all levels of seniority across the Council. Attendances at meetings of Committees as necessary Participate on working Parties, Project Teams, Corporate Groups, etc. as a senior financial advisor. Evaluating and advising on the financial effects of proposals and ensuring that decisions are made in the light of full knowledge of the financial implications for the Council.
- Support the Head of Finance in the overall management of the Council’s Finances and assist the Strategic Finance Manager in the management of the Accountancy Division, deputising as necessary. Responsible for the accurate completion of statutory returns and grant claims by the statutory deadlines, in accordance with standard accounting practices
- Each Principal Accountant will be the lead for particular specialist areas of work. This is likely to include interpreting, advising upon, and implementing legislation and guidance, consulting with relevant parties, completion of Government and other returns, reporting to members/senior officers, and working with officers, members, external auditors and suppliers. Each of the Post Holders will formulate, control and enhance processes within the Accountancy Team. The individual specialisms for the 4 Posts are detailed in the Additional Information Section below.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- A CCAB qualified accountant, with relevant post-qualifying experience (minimum of 3 years) in a public sector finance department. OR Significant relevant experience within a public sector finance department with either Senior AAT or part qualified CCAB qualification
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to create, develop and manage complex spreadsheets.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of computer based financial management systems and software applications e.g. General Ledger.
- Experience of high-level relationships such as senior officers, Members, outside organisations at Meetings and Working Groups.
- Experience of working under pressure and delivering work accurately and to deadlines
Skills & Abilities:
- High level diplomatic, interpersonal and negotiating skills with the ability to communicate effectively with Senior Officers, Members and External Audit
- Proven ability to interpret and implement the legislative Codes of Practice pertaining to Local Government Finance.
- Ability to manage workload, address conflicting priorities, meet deadlines (statutory and internal), working to a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to write clear, concise and easily understandable reports for Senior Officers and Members.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Principal Accountant - Financial
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.