- Pay Rate:
Up to £30.77 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1 month until further notice
- Peterborough, Cambridgeshire,
Interim Pollution Control Officer - Statutory Nuisance
Reference no: Peterborough (HQ) 1157
Pay Rate: Up to £30.77 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Please note that candidates are expected to work at weekends and outside normal working hours.
The role primarily involves investigation of statutory nuisances and environmental crime. The work closely with colleagues across the Council and with our external partners.
- Undertake enforcement work including investigations, inspections, and other interventions as directed, including taking part in initiatives and enforcement activities.
- Investigate complaints regarding poor public health conditions, statutory nuisances and environmental crime.
- In the course of conducting investigations, gather and present evidence, in accordance with statutory requirements, codes of practice, council policies and procedures.
- Prepare and present evidence as required in court, at committees and tribunals for prosecutions, licence reviews, and appeals.
- Negotiate with applicants, provide expert advice and make representations for the prevention of public nuisance with respect to applications for premises licences under the Licensing Act 2003.
- To be familiar with and adhere to the Council policies, protocols and procedures, that are applicable to this role.
- Perform measurements using analysis equipment in accordance with relevant standards and guidance, ensuring that equipment is appropriately calibrated at all times.
- Participate in and support problem solving forums and workshops designed through a holistic approach to find sustainable solutions to those matters causing concern to communities.
- Undertake as necessary statutory noise monitoring and out of hour’s complaint investigations.
- Prepare correspondence, records and technical reports, statement of evidence, for compliance with notices and the abatement of a statutory nuisance.
- Represent Regulatory Services at meetings, and forums as required.
Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Pollution related qualification, such as a degree or diploma in Environmental Science, Chemistry or Environmental Health.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of managing and delivering projects and initiatives including the writing of reports and correspondence.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work as part of a team and within a structured performance management framework to achieve multiple objectives and targets.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally with a wide range of service users, including in difficult and conflict situations, as sole representative of the Council.
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed electronic work records, and prepare/present reports.
- Ability to put customer service first while working within strict procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to undertake all aspects of surveying, investigations, risk assessments, remediation and verification for land, water and air issues.
- Ability to effectively manage workload and projects.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Pollution Control Officer - Statutory Nuisance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.