- Pay Rate:
£28.31 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- KENSINGTON, LONDON,
Planning Locum Solicitor
Reference no: K&C 5222349
Pay rate £28.31 per hour PAYE
In person evening committee attendance on a rota basis at Town Hall and in person attendance once a month at team meeting
To provide high level, expert professional/technical advice and guidance in planning and associated legal matters and local government law to internal clients, colleagues, managers, other Local Authority clients and partner agencies. To support and contribute to the effective delivery of the council’s objectives and priorities
- To provide appropriate, timely, client centric, legal advice to the Council and its various departments on all matters relating to town and country planning, including enforcement, tree preservation orders and associated highways advice. Specialist knowledge of planning law is required. Specialist knowledge of local government law is desirable.
- To deal with all (including the most complex) matters within the planning team in collaboration with the Principal Solicitor, Chief Solicitors and the Director of Law as necessary. The post holder’s caseload will include high profile, politically sensitive and financially weighted cases.
- To draft, prepare and collate legal documentation on behalf of the Council in relation to public inquiries, judicial review cases and hearings.
- To advise on law and evidence, and to have general conduct of all matters which are the responsibility of the post holder ensuring that time limits applicable to the case are complied with.
- To achieve the most advantageous terms with external parties when negotiating and concluding planning agreements and undertakings.
- To deal with enforcement advice matters relating to planning law.
- To draft and advise on reports for the Cabinet, Cabinet Members, Council Committees and Sub-Committees and to attend such committees and other meetings as the Principal Solicitor may require. To ensure that all procedural and standing order requirements are complied with. To advise elected Members as necessary.
- To attend meetings with Government Departments, other Local Authorities, other departments of the Council, and where appropriate other persons outside the Council some of which may be outside normal working hours.
- To prepare the Council’s case in relation to public inquiries and judicial review appropriate and in accordance with the department’s protocol, to instruct Counsel and/or external solicitors
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Admitted solicitor or barrister
- In-depth knowledge and experience of relevant local government law, town and country planning and highways law
- Broad knowledge of Local Government law (and in particular how decisions are made) or equivalent knowledge
- Knowledge of court and planning inquiry procedures
- Good negotiating and influencing skills
- Demonstrable ability to work constructively with Council Members and ability to undertake the role with a high degree of political sensitivity
- Computer literate and ability to work completely digitally
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Planning Locum Solicitor
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.