- Pay Rate:
Up to £464.94 per day PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- Tower Hamlets, London,
Interim OSS Systems Specialist - Digital Policing
Reference no: MPS 0007 6F78 / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £464.94 per day PAYE depending on experience
This opening assignment is for 6 months
Hybrid working – 2 days in the office per week
CTC vetting required for this role
Candidates with current CTC clearances will go through their vetting processes, currently this is taking up to 6 months. If you are already in a contract that potentially is not ending for a few months and this role is of interest, do let us know, we would be happy to discuss further.
The OSS Systems Specialist is required to enhance the development capability for core policing applications. A key role is to create automation frameworks to create environments and infrastructure systems that developers can easily access. In addition, to design and create deployment and hosting solutions to provide secure and repeatable delivery technologies for varied environments.
- Light-touch agile methodologies especially JIRA Kanban.
- DevOps automation including CI/CD using Jenkins.
- Configuration management/automation using tools such as Packer, Puppet and Ansible.
- Support and enhance on-premises cloud technologies including the core components of OpenStack, Heat/Terraform orchestration, customisations/Hooks and status monitoring tools.
- Support and enhance MongoDB and PostgreSQL databases and SOA bus developed to run in Redhat JBoss Fuse 6.
- Get directly involved in designing new strategies and toolsets, including liaison with surrounding teams/projects.
- Develop methodologies for orchestration of design, development and deployments for multiple environments.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualification in relevant digital forensics, engineering, scientific or technical discipline.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years hands-on experience with Linux system administration (Ubuntu preferred) including fault diagnosis from application logs all the way down to hardware, package/dependency management and centralised configuration management.
- Hands-on experience automating on-premises virtualisation platforms using tools such as Heat or Terraform and/or custom automation elements using native APIs and/or CLI. OpenStack experience will be of significant benefit.
- General experience of CI - build and release management, quality assurance, automated testing (e.g. ServerSpec, RSpec) and change control.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with open source SDLC toolset, including Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket Server, Git, Jenkins.
- Ability to communicate directly with developers and senior leadership to resolve issues and to fully understand business requirements.
- Experience with OS provisioning, software installation and configuration management using modern configuration and orchestration tools on complex environments – this includes tools such as Puppet, Heat, Ansible, Packer, Cobbler, and Vagrant.
- Effectively escalate & liaise with 3rd line support and/or customer until fault resolution.
- Candidates are encouraged to share a GitHub account where any open source contributions can be reviewed prior to an interview.
- Programming experience using Java, Ruby or Python.
- Scripting experience using Bash and Microsoft PowerShell.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
OSS Systems Specialist - Digital Policing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.