- Pay Rate:
£17.95 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4 months
- SOUTHWARK, London,
Temporary Mechanical Engineer - Engineering & Surveying /Housing
Reference no: Southwark 5227658
Pay rate: £17.95 per hour PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 4 months
To provide expert multi-disciplinary technical support to the all departments of the Housing Department. Supporting Engineering and compliance managers in the management of all mechanical, electrical and other building services projects, carrying out audits, quality inspections and assessments across the borough, ensuring the long term strategic aim of reaching full compliancy across the stock and the investment, repairs and engineering workstreams.
To ensure the engineering services within the housing stock are installed, serviced and maintained to a standard and quality required by policy and regulatory requirements and that the services remain suitable for use for the purpose they were intended and any work necessary or instructed is carried out as efficiently and effectively as possible with due regard to the policies and procedures.
- Use technical expertise to inspect, specify and analyse repairs required to a wide range of defects, both domestic and commercial/industrial (including major defects). Aiming to carry out cost-effective repairs with the minimum disruption to service delivery. To include the production and presentation of detailed technical specifications and reports on the computer systems.
- Monitor and check repairs and maintenance work to ensure that they are complete to the required standard within agreed timescales and to the satisfaction of the residents and relevant Housing Services staff.
- Maintain control of costs by specifying accurately and completely all the work necessary for the rectification of a defect. Agree any necessary unforeseen extras as promptly as possible.
- Manage and monitor installation, service and maintenance contracts to ensure compliance with the requirements.
- Technical support in disrepair and legal cases, ensuring that repairs are carried out on time and in line with agreed standards.
- To compile technical reports and all other relevant documentation for presentation at court. To represent at court in relation to technical engineering issues.
- Manage contractor performance on a daily basis, ensuring adherence to set targets and improved repair, installation, service and maintenance service.
- Embrace the commitment to modern ways of working, including the use and continued development of mobile hand held technology.
- Ensure contractor compliance with Health and Safety legislation and protocols on all sites where engineering works are being undertaken.
- Ensure compliance with and statutory responsibilities on repair legislation and contract management.
- Assist the Gas and water Compliance manager in managing the Quality assurance and mechanical services contract.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Knowledge, including educational qualifications:
- Relevant Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) Gas Certificates of Competence for domestic and commercial gas core elements and appliances.
- Certificate of competence in the control of legionella (ACoP L8) or have extensive appropriate experience.
- Good understanding of Health and safety regulation, Acts Approved Codes of Practice and best practice. Must have a basic understanding of Health and safety management for reactive, planned and major project works.
- Certificate of competence in plumbing NVQ or C&G level. Hold Water bylaws certification and unvented hot water systems or have extensive appropriate experience.
- Sound previous experience of the installation, service and maintenance of domestic and commercial heating and hot cold water building services to include potable cold water systems, communal cold water storage tanks.
- Experience of carrying out complex pre, intermediate and post site surveys/inspections. Undertake diagnostic and quality control inspections of engineering plant and equipment, providing advice and solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Site supervision relating to installation, service and repair and maintenance contracts from inception to completion, including attendance and participation in site/technical meetings.
- Production of detailed technical reports and specifications in electronic form.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Valid U.K driving licence and will be deemed an essential car user to carry out duty borough wide.
- Must be sufficiently mobile to be able to carry out the tasks required, i.e. need to be able to climb ladders, access cellars, walk over uneven ground, work within confined spaces (e.g. crawl ducts) and work at heights.
- Will be required to wear protective clothing and use safety equipment where appropriate.
- In exceptional circumstances to work outside normal working hours to respond to emergencies or attend meetings.
- Able to work at any site/location within the Borough as required to carry out duty.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Mechanical Engineer - Engineering & Surveying/Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.